Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reductions in circulating levels of IL-16, IL-7 and VEGF-A in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Marky90, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

"
    Abstract
    Recently, differences in the levels of various chemokines and cytokines were reported in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) as compared with controls. Moreover, the analyte profile differed between chronic ME/CFS patients of long duration versus patients with disease of less than 3 years. In the current study, we measured the plasma levels of 34 cytokines, chemokines and growth factors in 100 chronic ME/CFS patients of long duration and in 79 gender and age-matched controls. We observed highly significant reductions in the concentration of circulating interleukin (IL)-16, IL-7, and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A (VEGF-A) in ME/CFS patients. All three biomarkers were significantly correlated in a multivariate cluster analysis. In addition, we identified significant reductions in the concentrations of fractalkine (CX3CL1) and monokine-induced-by-IFN-γ (MIG; CXCL9) along with increases in the concentrations of eotaxin 2 (CCL24) in ME/CFS patients. Our data recapitulates previous data from another USA ME/CFS cohort in which circulating levels of IL-7 were reduced. Also, a reduced level of VEGF-A was reported previously in sera of patients with Gulf War Illness as well as in cerebral spinal fluid samples from a different cohort of USA ME/CFS patients. To our knowledge, we are the first to test for levels of IL-16 in ME/CFS patients. In combination with previous data, our work suggests that the clustered reduction of IL-7, IL-16 and VEGF-A may have physiological relevance to ME/CFS disease. This profile is ME/CFS-specific since measurement of the same analytes present in chronic infectious and autoimmune liver diseases, where persistent fatigue is also a major symptom, failed to demonstrate the same changes. Further studies of other ME/CFS and overlapping disease cohorts are warranted in future.
    "

Don`t think the full paper is out yet(?), but this is possibly great right?!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043466615301071

Antares in NYC, RL_sparky and SB_1108 like this.
  2. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

3. Marky90

Reduced vascular endothelial growth factor A, could play a role in the different kinds of orthostatic intolerance we see in ME/CFS, or?

4. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

It will be interesting to see how these results compare to Dr. Hornig's.

It doesn't appear from my very brief time looking over all results that they tested the same cytokines. Is that correct?

EDIT:
    Oh it says the current study tested 34 cytokines but doesn't say which ones... only those that showed reductions.

Marky90 likes this.
  5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
  6. Marky90

Oh sorry! I`ll delete this one then :) EDIT: Mods?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.