1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reducing blood needed for analysis: WSJ article on Med/diagnostic startup

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sparrowhawk, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    I'm not caught breathlessly enthusing about every new Silicon Valley "technology will save us" start up -- but this one I embrace fully, as it would reduce one of the major, literal, drains I face with diagnostics: the amount of blood drawn for lab work. My record was 16 vials in one day at Kaiser, and it took me two weeks to recover. Nowadays even a few vials can set me back a week or two. So a drop of blood only, to replace all that? Sign me up!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324123004579055003869574012.html

vamah, Sasha and Crux like this.
  2. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Thanks Sparrowhawk;

I've fainted a couple of times getting blood drawn, and it wasn't because of the creep out factor.
    A couple of clumsy phlebotomists also ruined my day. ( most have been quite good)

This is good news!

Sparrowhawk likes this.
  3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Were tied at 16 as that is what the Mayo Clinic took. I also had a blood gas took, but that was a small amount and they have to find an vein for that. They still said everything was normal. Maybe someone can answer this one. They run one test called "Acyl - Carnitine" and it had about 15 different levels with many indicating high or low. The doctor said that was looking for genetic disorders, but mine did not match any of the disorders, so everything is normal. Has anyone ever had this test?

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA

See more popular forum discussions.