• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reducing blood needed for analysis: WSJ article on Med/diagnostic startup

Sparrowhawk

I'm not caught breathlessly enthusing about every new Silicon Valley "technology will save us" start up -- but this one I embrace fully, as it would reduce one of the major, literal, drains I face with diagnostics: the amount of blood drawn for lab work. My record was 16 vials in one day at Kaiser, and it took me two weeks to recover. Nowadays even a few vials can set me back a week or two. So a drop of blood only, to replace all that? Sign me up!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324123004579055003869574012.html

Crux

Thanks Sparrowhawk;

I've fainted a couple of times getting blood drawn, and it wasn't because of the creep out factor.
A couple of clumsy phlebotomists also ruined my day. ( most have been quite good)

This is good news!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Were tied at 16 as that is what the Mayo Clinic took. I also had a blood gas took, but that was a small amount and they have to find an vein for that. They still said everything was normal. Maybe someone can answer this one. They run one test called "Acyl - Carnitine" and it had about 15 different levels with many indicating high or low. The doctor said that was looking for genetic disorders, but mine did not match any of the disorders, so everything is normal. Has anyone ever had this test?