• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reduced diversity and altered composition of the gut microbiome in individuals with ME/CFS

msf

BMI can be a notoriously poor indicator of health, apart from in the sedentary. Many athletes are above 30 on the BMI due to muscle mass, and one would not say they are particularly unhealthy.

Just putting that out there.

B

I know, but in the study I posted it correlated strongly with LBP.

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
I know, but in the study I posted it correlated strongly with LBP.

For sure, my point was its unfortunately not a predictor of health unless other measures are taken in unison. So that control at BMI 33 etc may be very healthy. Its a measure far over utilised for 'healthy' controls in studies, and it does my nut in.

I just feel it's an important distinction to make as it is surprising how many people see it as an 'ultimate' measure of health.

B

Last edited:

msf

It may be that people with a lot of muscle have higher levels of LPS, who knows?

Ben H

It may be that people with a lot of muscle have higher levels of LPS, who knows?

Well, there are studies that show increased gut permeability after exercise, so it would definitely be an interesting study. I would doubt it overall, for how LPS can make you feel, but yea who knows!

B

msf

Yeah, it seems unlikely, but then I don´t think obese people feel like they have ME, although I could be wrong (I´ve only got to a BMI of about 28 myself, so I just know that overweight people don´t).

Ben H

Yeah, it seems unlikely, but then I don´t think obese people feel like they have ME, although I could be wrong (I´ve only got to a BMI of about 28 myself, so I just know that overweight people don´t).

''Ive only got to a BMI of about 28"......the phrasing on that made me chuckle, whether intentional or not! Me too, at 28 also...

B

M Paine

What I'm dying to know, is what's causing translocation of bacterial components out of the gut.

It's very interesting that hsCRP is not elevated. Is that a new finding? Was the purpose of including that to provide evidence that this is not a typical IBS condition arisen from inflammation of the GI tract?

msf

Have at look at the recent KDM meeting abstract, his guess is as good as anyone´s at the moment.

Mark

What I'm dying to know, is what's causing translocation of bacterial components out of the gut.

It's very interesting that hsCRP is not elevated. Is that a new finding? Was the purpose of including that to provide evidence that this is not a typical IBS condition arisen from inflammation of the GI tract?
This rings a bell. I don't think they were trying to show this, it's just what they found, but I think they mentioned that it stands in contrast to IBS. Hope I remembered that right.

alex3619

Its been years since I looked into this, but like many things its a layered defence system. The gut lining itself is a barrier. The immune cells in the gut, I think, absorb the LPS and detox it. Then it gets to the liver via the porrtal circulation and the liver destroys it ... more immune cells. If those immune cells are under-functioning, or overwhelmed, then we can get LPS in the general circulation. It takes many failures to lead to this.

Now the gut lining repair is dependent in part on glutathione sensitive enzymes, the desaturases. They also have to replicate fast ... a high energy activity. What if the energy status of the gut lining is as bad as the rest of us?

msf

I just noticed that the title of the paper seems to underplay the findings - any idea why that is?