• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reduce anxiety during overmethylation treatment

cman89

I just jumped into Methylation when I started, but I can say that if you start at low dosage, things will often balance out. Im afraid that too many people bounce around a lot with dosages when things ramp up a bit. Freddd's intro protocol is still a good way to do it.

cman89

What dosage do you use on the folinic acid? I believe I'm overmethylated (wired but tired is EXACTLY me.) I'm planning on starting a folic/folinic acid + niacin regimen once I confirm with a SAM:SAH ratio test. Any idea on starting doses?
For so called "overmethylation" niacin can help balance it out...

dannybex

What dosage do you use on the folinic acid? I believe I'm overmethylated (wired but tired is EXACTLY me.) I'm planning on starting a folic/folinic acid + niacin regimen once I confirm with a SAM:SAH ratio test. Any idea on starting doses?
I take about 400 mcg after breakfast, then 800 mcgs after dinner, and/or about 2 hours before bed. You might start w/200 mcgs, which shouldn't cause a problem IMO.

vision blue

Cheerio good people from around the globe :)

That is, when I am just about to enter dreamland, my brain gets a big spasm that hurls me back into reality. Very unpleasant. The more GABA I take, the more brain spasms I get. If anyone knows why, and measures to counteract that, then GABA might be a viable solution :)

Can you say more on what those brain spasms are like? I get something like that where everytime i start to fall asleep I am jolted awake by sensations in my head, sometimes lijke a bolt of traveling electricity, other times feels like my head is trying to fly away or moving in many directions at once. this can go on for dozens of time in the first 2 to 3 hours of sleep. i also get vertigo which you posted about as well. In my case, theres no supplement i can identify that does this (except tyramines make it worse) but i definitely am having neurotransmitter issues.

vision blue

I believe I'm overmethylated (wired but tired is EXACTLY me.) I'm planning on starting a folic/folinic acid + niacin regimen once I confirm with a SAM:SAH ratio test. Any idea on starting doses?

Did you ever get the results of your SAM:SAH test? I thin i'm also over methylated; genetically, shows i'm in the 8% that would be over methylated. plus on urine amino acid tests, i have very low homocysteine. definitely have wired but tired, and have evidence of high glutamate, dopamine, tyramine and bordering on histamine; also intolerance to tyramine foods, suggesting perhaps problems with not enough MAO-A activity. all fits with over metylation.

However, my folate blood test is high, and in the past when i've taken folic acid supplements years ago when i didn't know what i was doing, I felt awful on them. Just don't know if folic acid is my solution to overmethylation,. any alternatives? have not tried niacin/niacinimide yet - i also have elevated liver enzymes and i hear it can be hard on liver.

does everyone agree folic acid is good for over methylators- or just that whole Pfiffer group? and what kind - with our w/o a methyl donor (e.g. methylfolate etc.)