1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Recovery of upper limb muscle function in chronic fatigue syndrome with and without fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

PMID: 24313704 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The main data can be seen in Figure 1:
    [​IMG]

It is a pity that they didn't look at recovery at 24 hours. This was previously found to be abnormal at 24 hours in:
  3. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    This describes exactly what happens to me, my legs function quite well, but using my arms get me exhausted, my heartbeat raises and I start to pant, all this specially if I use them while raising them over my head. Those effort test in a bike will never work on me, my legs mostly ignore the fact that I have MECFS.
  4. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    I have heard that's a sign of cardiac issues. Have you been checked for heart problems or dysautonomia?
  5. lauluce

argentina
    I also tough that many symptoms I´ve got are due to orthostatic intolerance, POTS, etc... three weeks ago I had a cold. One week later, the cold as gone, but the following two weeks, my fatigue, difficulty to stand, fast heart rate due to minimal activities (135 bpm), dizziness, etc, all those symptoms worsened extremely. I was sure that a simple holter test would have been able to detect abnormalities in my cardiac system, but today, two weeks after they worsened, those symptoms became mild again (except fatigue), so my appointment for a holter is now useless. Its a matter of luck, cardiac studies never detected anything because I had them done when I was feeling mostly fine regarding symptoms like this.
  6. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    The doctor has to do the right test to find the abnormality. Some cardiac tests are going to show normal or nearly normal results. The holter test will detect some abnormalities, but not the one you are having apparently. It is not uncommon to have a "normal" holter test with ME/CFS. The most common result for us on the holter test is T-wave flattening, I think. Most cardiologists don't consider that anything to be concerned about and don't report it. As I understand it (and I could be wrong), the T-wave flattening is a difference we have from healthy people, but it's not known to be problem functionally.

What you probably need is to be evaluated for dysautonomia. That's a different sets of tests than the ones they give if they're looking for other heart issues. My guess would be that you, like many people with ME/CFS, have low blood volume. That's not something a cardiologist looks for routinely.
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. lauluce

argentina
    your response is so useful, thank you SOC. Do you know any resource where I can learn to interpret that holter and look for that T-wave flattening? I'm sure that the doctor who wrote the report on my holter didn't looked for that! what an amazin perspective...
    Low blood volume I read about that abnormality in ME/CFS, believe that I can feel it... I feel how my blood flows with much effort from my heart to my upper body. Do you think it's possible that I feel it?
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I forgot to say they used the 2010 Fibromyalgia criteria:

These criteria don't require the tender point assessment and are broader. A higher percentage of CFS patients would satisfy these FMS criteria than the Wolfe et al. (1990) criteria that require 11 of 18 tender points, etc.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. lauluce

argentina
    oh I's good to know that, that means that I may fit their criteria as well, I don't have the famous tender points, or so I think. You know, my legs are so much stronger than my arms... I'm able to ride a bike, but washing the dishes or washing my hear is exhausting, anybody here that experiences the same?
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

For what it's worth, by the same/similar team:

lauluce and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.