1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

'Recovery' from chronic fatigue syndrome after treatments given in the PACE trial

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Sam Carter, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Thank you. So a medical/scientific journal had a draft editorial which referred to a newspaper article...

ukxmrv, Min, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  2. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Just to be clear, here are at least two factual errors published in the recovery paper:

FAIL. In the general working age population, the median (middle score) is 100 and the 1st quartile (25th percentile) is 90. A threshold of >=85 only excludes about 18% of the general working age population, and 8% of the working age population without long-term health problems, the population which 'recovered' participants should be compared to. White et al appeared to wrongly assume that the mean (average score) was about the same as the median.

So the stated justification for changing the threshold is based on a falsehood and/or misinterpretation. Unfortunately, those figures are derived from raw data from the UK Data Archive and not published in a paper (however, one can estimate from the histogram in the Bowling paper that about 28% of the general population score 85 or higher). Psychological Medicine were made aware of this error but did not publish the submitted letter with this information, claiming that the same point was already made in one of the other letters to be published, which is clearly false. There was no correction issued either. Another letter made a different point about the threshold, but here is a factual error which they are obliged to investigate and correct.

FAIL. The PACE Trial recovery thresholds were not 'more conservative' than the Knoop et al paper. Both used mean -1S.D. The threshold for normal physical function was 80 in Knoop et al but only 60 in the PACE Trial. White was a co-author of both papers, which makes the blunder more baffling. Fortunately, the above error is very easy to confirm. I don't know if Psychological Medicine know of this error, but they don't seem interested in corrections anyway.

PS: PACE referred to Bowling et al for their normative data (general population), which was based on the 1992 ONS Omnibus Survey sample. The mean±S.D. and median(IQR) physical function score for the working age population without chronic illness in this sample is 95.0±10.2 and 100(95-100) points respectively. Presenting 60 as a 'conservative' threshold for complete recovery is scandalous, particularly as it overlapped with trial criteria for 'significant disability' i.e. 65 or less.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Simon, WillowJ, Esther12 and 4 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Just another quote showing why it is important we should have good data on recovery i.e. to see if it's reasonable for one's position to be "curable" or "incurable":

PD White:

http://www.derbymedicalsociety.co.uk/archive/2009-10/DMS minutes 17-11-2009.PDF

Esther12, biophile and Valentijn like this.
  4. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

These new videos from ME Analysis were recently posted on Co-Cure:

6: ME Recovery Song (cheeky, amusing, catchy, banjo song about 'recovery' in the PACE trial)

7: How's That Recovery? (a more formal explanation of problems with the 'recovery' criteria)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    Sea, Esther12, Bob and 3 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Here's an extract, for what it's worth, from a blogpost linking to that MEA article on the recovery criteria, "Someone at the M.E. Association said something accurate and wonderful about the PACE trial"

(This is a woman who is able to walk 5 miles sometimes. She also works part-time from home)

alex3619, WillowJ and biophile like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Another study showing fatigue can be common in society suggesting population norms could be problematic

Free full text: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/4/6/e005374.full

Note: I've come across Keith Petrie before and find him quite a psychobabbler so I might not agree with a lot of what is said in this study (haven't read it so far).

ukxmrv and Esther12 like this.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Scanning the forum today i saw the heading and thought if this cbt/get crap worked we would have alot of people discussing how great they feel after being treated etc. if there is any positive personal experiences with it posted then there isnt many.

Its good they did that study so now we definately know its a crock of s-it.

Min, Valentijn, Kati and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The problem is that they had a "crock-of-s*it" definition of recovery so they're claiming 21%/22% recovery rates. If they'd published what they said they would publish (the recovery criteria in the protocol), everyone could see what you say.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Min, Valentijn, WillowJ and 2 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Do we need a thread for stories from people who were in the PACE trial? Then advertise it?

Amused and Valentijn like this.
  11. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    That might be a good idea, but we would have to ensure that it was truly open, and not phrased in such a way that only the dissatisfied would get involved. It would also need to be monitored carefully so that anyone posting positive comments was not harassed.

alex3619, Amused, WillowJ and 2 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/psychiatry/news/friedberg_commentary

Thread on this short commentary here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...me-may-present-less-than-meets-the-eye.31868/

Min, WillowJ and Simon like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    It would have to be a highly moderated thread, constantly monitored. Anything less would be a bad idea.

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I just made this point to somebody who was confused by the recovery criteria. I'm not sure if the observation in the second paragraph was made before but no harm making it again:

A.B., Valentijn and Kati like this.
  15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

This is a letter Adrian Baldwin and I just had published in Evidence Based Mental Health.

http://ebmh.bmj.com/content/early/2014/09/19/eb-2014-101961.extract

Unfortunately it is not open access

It is about the recovery definition used in the PACE Trial.

Friedberg & Adamowicz say that the recovery criteria in the PACE Trial were similar to those used by Deale et al (2001) in an earlier CBT trial, echoing PACE Trial authors claimed. We disagree pointing out how they are different.

We then also say the use of a threshold of SF-36 PF of 60 or more to define recovery is inappropriate, including by quoting population data.

biophile, alex3619, Bob and 7 others like this.
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

See pages 67 to 70 for an article "Beyond Tired: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome remains misunderstood and understudied. Psychologists are among those trying to change that" This article just appeared in the Oct 2014 issue of the American Psychological Association’s publication the Monitor
    http://www.apamonitor-digital.org/apamonitor/201410#pg70
    ---
    Note that cognitive behavioural stress management is not the same as graded activity-oriented CBT.

Includes the following on the PACE Trial:
    ETA:
    Here's more - what came next:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    zzz, Valentijn, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Senior Member

18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    :)

Jason promoting good sense and showing that not all Mental health professionals buy into the hype.

Valentijn, Simon and Dolphin like this.
  19. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    It's my belief (based on very little evidence) that possibly the majority of psychiatrists and psychologists do not go along with the Wessely crowd, simply because they are so few in number, and the few that I have come across personally have had a much more open and balanced attitude. I came across an ex-Indian army psychiatrist a few years back, and was a bit apprehensive. Just showed how wrong I was to be prejudiced! He was really good. I have also heard from others in the profession with family members or friends with the illness, who know it is not a psychological illness. The trouble is, of course, that most of the ones we come across are at ME/CFS centres, and are picked or trained in the Wessleyan tradition.

Valentijn, ukxmrv and Keela Too like this.
  20. worldbackwards

worldbackwards I talk because I can

Similarly uninformed, but when I ended up in hospital, I was given a 'psychiatric evaluation', which was rather worrying, but the nurse in question was really knowledgeable and intelligent. However, when I was first ill, I saw a psychiatrist who was a right nob (first words - 'I don't believe in ME' - the first time I'd ever heard the term). On the basis of this thoroughly scientific sample, I 'd say it's variable!

See more popular forum discussions.