The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"recovering from CFS"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by RogerBlack, Apr 14, 2017.

1. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

The below piece amused me.
    http://sporteluxe.com/meet-amanda-bisk-our-new-go-to-for-fitspiration/

Objective tests for CFS would be great. I somehow doubt by following her example I can become an elite athletics coach though.

Mel9, justy, Dechi and 5 others like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Gee whiz, maybe next she can cure cancer! Hopefully without purportedly contracting it first in that case, since I wouldn't wish it on a uninformed idiot who probably has good intentions.

Mel9 and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Alvin2

Alvin2 Senior Member

Don't have the brain power to read it but if her health expertise has found a cure for ME/CFS she can fix all of us and become very wealthy. I'll hold my breath till that happens :woot:

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    upload_2017-4-14_12-58-52.jpeg

Yes, we can all hold our breath til we're blue in the face. Waiting. . .Waiting. . .

Mel9, halcyon, ballard and 2 others like this.
  5. Snowdrop

Toronto
    I'm in some serious need of GOOD news right now.
    I fear even Nuking the BPS dogma will have zero effect.
    Like cockroaches it will survive the blast.

ukxmrv, Mel9, halcyon and 3 others like this.
  6. Alvin2

Alvin2 Senior Member

Its not going to be easy to defeat the forces of evil (just look at US politics), and this condition makes it harder for us to make it happen. I do hope Ron Davis shows the disease mechanism, it may not only lead to a treatment but can be used like a club against the psychosomatic bullshit camp, it took discovery of Orexin to prove narcolepsy is not a psychological disease despite the physical evidence.

dangermouse, Mel9, Webdog and 3 others like this.
  7. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Let me be the eternal pessimist.

Scam artists and bullshitters are at most mildly inconvenienced by the truth. Such folks Will Jell-O mold either their product or their presentation and continue. They look at ideas only as instruments for personal gain; you'll notice that things like lightning process etc are never published as a research paper or a standard book, their package that something you have to pay at least $100 for, usually much more.

The small number of real docs that deal with our disease publish whatever they know, in almost all cases you can read it free.

On the Plus side decent physicians and scientists will probably stop listening to the likes of Wesley once someone has shown at least one distinctive physiological marker and that marker swims far enough upstream to reach said people's attention.

dangermouse, Mel9 and Webdog like this.
  8. Alvin2

Alvin2 Senior Member

i can't disagree with pessimism and ME/CFS
    in another thread people were arguing that PACE is on its way to death and i was the pessimistic one, one thing i have learned over and over again is to never count one's chickens before they are hatched.

Webdog, Invisible Woman and Snowdrop like this.
  9. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    Don't be so cynical @Snowdrop - all we need to do is post some pics of our 'smokin' bod' on instagram, and we could be well too;)

Mel9, justy, halcyon and 2 others like this.
  10. Snowdrop

Toronto
    If I instagram the head of a rotting fish will BPS/PACE go away maybe?
    upload_2017-4-14_15-48-52.jpeg

At this point I'd rather welcome the Zombie apocalypse than a single BPS piece of bullshit.

ukxmrv and Mel9 like this.
  11. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Hi, I recovered completely from CFS by sniffing incense two times a day. Also, I run an incense shop. Anyone want to have a go?

ukxmrv, Mel9, justy and 7 others like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Is it just me or the "chronic fatigue" experienced by athletes eg "overtraining syndrome" remit/recover far more frequently than CFS or ME?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Mel9, justy, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  13. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

I think it's mostly people trying to sell something through the power of bullshit. Maybe she was overtrained or whatever and very fatigued from that, but she's a healthcoach and has vested interests in getting the story across that her type of training can get you better.

Snow Leopard and Valentijn like this.
  14. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I don't think you have quite the right idea.

Such a blatant disclosure of your interest just is not the done thing.

15. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

It's an interesting question, which is not answerable by the data.

For every dozen athletes that become ill by CFS, how many recover, how many recover short term for a year or three, and then face a spiralling life of disability, and how many are sitting at home trying to get up the energy to do the washing up after having dropped out, ...

Studying the (if there is one) population of people with 'true' CFS (let's say with PEM) for under 6 months who fully recover to their original baseline, and die without a relapse at their normally expected time with no further impact of the disease would be fascinating.

If only rats got CFS.

Mel9 likes this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

In there somewhere she says people are surprised I'm really bad at running distance. So there's still something underneath all that healthy exterior that isn't working "normally".

Valentijn likes this.
  17. Alvin2

Alvin2 Senior Member

ah, so partial recovery.
    five bucks said if she has a relapse she will try to keep it quiet

See more popular forum discussions.