Get PACE removed from clinical guidelines – sign the petition!
Sasha invites you to sign a new petition to the HHS to protect patients against the PACE trial, CBT and GET ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Recording of Esther Crawley inaugural lecture on February 24

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Feb 25, 2017.

1. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I thought of a much ruder caption ending in the words "... this big!" but decided not to go there so as not to lower the tone.

trishrhymes, SamanthaJ and A.B. like this.
  2. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    @Keith Geraghty: I agree with you whole-heartedly.

There definitely seem to be some kind of sociopathic and/or narcissistic traits in play with these people, and coupled with their psychiatric knowledge, is a deeply troubling combination. The notion of high profile psychiatrists, lacking the empathy or ethics necessary for their profession, but having the manipulative skills to convince people that that is exactly what they supposedly are doing is ... like something out of Gotham City's underworld.

A classic trick of people engaging in smear campaigning propaganda is to apply derogatory labels to those they seek to decry: call them activists, lobby groups, vexatious militants, etc. So EC immediately deceives the innocently uninformed by smear-labelling those she wants to set people against.

Another low psychological trick is to discuss two things in conjunction with each other, raising the subtle inference in listeners' minds that there is a correlation, even when there is not. So talking about brave people most listeners will inevitably (and rightly) admire for how they stood up against oppression and adversity, whilst in the same breath talking about herself and colleagues standing firm against those she wishes to defame, is an age-old strategy for triggering unwarranted associations in people's heads. But it works with the innocently uninformed.

Subtly abusive folks operate on the principle of plausible deniability - being able to claim they never stated such an association, and that for anyone believing such things - it must be all in their heads. And for a while that strategy works, but only so long as the deniability remains plausible - which it does not. The BPS people need to consider that one day they will hopefully be called to account by the justice system, and that assessment of abusive behaviour is not based simply on one or a few instances, but on patterns of behaviour, because it is those patterns that expose what the few instances do not ... whether the deniability is plausible or not. The BPS people are leaving a mega-clear trail of their behaviour patterns, and I suspect they genuinely do not comprehend this. They know no better than to blindly persist, in there increasingly desperate efforts to defend the indefensible, never thinking that each example renders their deniability less plausible. I would be fascinated to read a forensic psychologist's report on some of these people; it has to be a forensic psychologist, because normal psychologists are too easily fooled, as I understand it. A good fictional insight into such behaviour is "Secret Smile" by Nicci French.

And of course, playing the victim to perfection is a classic predatory trick of the such people. As is being more about emotive talk than about substance.

suseq, Valentijn, Webdog and 4 others like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Accusing your opponent of doing what you do yourself is an old trick that the PACE authors keep using.

mango, suseq, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  4. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Precisely. Especially by the subtly abusive. It is a way of deflecting the notion that they themselves could be guilty of such things. I sometimes wonder if it is a form of self denial - actually convincing themselves of their own deceptions.

suseq, Jan, trishrhymes and 1 other person like this.
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    I think this is a good word to describe Crawley et al's work:

1k9d1b.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM
    Solstice, trishrhymes and Molly98 like this.
  6. suseq

suseq

London (UK)
    Tragedy. When you lose control and you got no soul. It's Tragedy ....

(Choreography & vocals: Steps; Lyrics: The Bee Gees)

EDIT: Yay! Been trying to work out how to do this properly all morning!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    SamanthaJ, Barry53, AndyPR and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.