Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Recommended reading for doctors about pediatric ME?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Emma, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Emma

Emma

A friend of mine is looking for info about pediatric ME, for a doctor (in Sweden) who wants to learn more.
    She's only interested in biomedical, high quality information.

Is there perhaps something similar to IACFS/ME's Primer for Clinical Practitioners, but focused on children?
    Tymes Trust's website seems great, too.

What articles, books etc would you recommend?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated, because we're both too ill to research this in-depth ourselves right now.

Many thanks in advance :)

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

A pediatric primer is awaiting publication.
    In the meantime the IOM report has a good section on pediatric patients. The Tymes Trust is a big help.

3. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Refreshing.

dangermouse, Anne and Webdog like this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Anne and Webdog like this.
  5. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    A lot of other study papers reference this paper "Does severe nutcracker phenomenon cause pediatric chronic fatigue syndrome" ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10749295 ) but it would appear to be an orphan on the subject in suggesting a link between the two conditions.

6. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Funny, in looking up how to find The Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (in press 1995-2007) for another thread, I happened across this article and wondered if someone might find it useful. Then I saw your post. Maybe this will be of use to you (or the Swedish doctor):

A Pediatric Case Definition for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Leonard A. Jason, Karen Jordan, Teruhisa Miike, David S. Bell, Charles Lapp, Susan Torres-Harding, show all
    Pages 1-44 | Published online: 04 Dec 2011

The whole article can be found here (given that the Journal of CFS is out of print, and you really can't get its articles anymore).

Anne and Webdog like this.
  7. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I keep referring back to the following fantastic article, as it describes so many of my (at the time undiagnosed) pediatric symptoms.

ME/CFS in Children
    By Dr. David S. Bell • May 13, 2016
    http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=28892

In particular, Dr. Bell discusses "facial flushing", which I experienced in high school and had not connected to my ME/CFS before. If only my doctors at the time had this knowledge. If only!
    Also, Dr. Bell talks about onset.
    Although I've usually considered my disease onset at age 15, I can trace neuro and vision symptoms all the way back to kindergarten. Everything kind of "coalesced" into full blown ME/CFS following a viral infection at age 15.

I was also diagnosed with ADD from ages 7-12, but never felt my symptoms were anything like the other ADD kids I knew. More like having difficulty concentrating due to fluctuating brain fog.

For completeness, I would have liked Dr. Bell discuss to have discussed vision-related symptoms, as I think these are also key to pediatric diagnosis.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Anne likes this.
  8. Anne

Anne Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.