• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

recommend a high dose multi B vitamin

Be careful with B6 - too much can create very serious problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6#Toxicity
neuropathy typically develops at doses of pyridoxine in excess of 1,000 mg per day but adverse effects can occur with much less and, therefore, doses over 200 mg are not considered safe.[25] Symptoms among women taking lower doses have been reported.[26] Two reported cases of neuropathy with pyridoxine treatment of 24 and 40 mg/day may have been coincidental.[25] This condition is usually reversible when supplementation is stopped.[27]
Existing authorisations and valuations vary considerably worldwide. In 1993, the European Community Scientific Committee on Food defined intakes of 50 mg of vitamin B6 per day as harmful and established a tolerable upper intake level of 25 mg/day for adults in 2000.

The tolerable upper limit has been set by the US FDA at 100 mg/day in 2000.[28] The nutrient reference values in Australia and New Zealand recommend an upper limit of 50 mg a day in adults.

Thinktank

I've tried tons of B-complexes. The best one in my opinion is the activated B-complex from Swanson's.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps
Thiamin (vitamin B-1) (as benfotiamine) 25 mg 1,667%
Riboflavin (as riboflavin 5'-phosphate) 25 mg 1,471%
Niacin (as inositol hexanicotinate) 50 mg 250%
Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) 25 mg 1,250%
Folate (as Quatrefolic® [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid equivalent to 800 mcg of [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (as methylcobalamin) 250 mcg 4,167%
Biotin 25 mcg 8%
Choline (as choline dihydrogen citrate) 25 mg *
PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 25 mg *
Pantethine (coenzyme A precursor)(from Pantesin® 55% pantethine) 25 mg *
Inositol (from inositol hexanicotinate) 12.5 mg *

Last edited:

Helen

Hi @Thinktank,

Thanks for the suggestion but think the dose of biotin is very low in this B-complex. As biotin is a co-factor in methylation I think people should be aware of that the content is low, and as far as I can see, should be completed.

Thinktank

Swanson's has another version of this product with double the biotin. Otherwise add an additional biotin supplement?
I recommend the Swanson's brand because it's very easy on the GI tract.