The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Recent research on Gulf War illness and other health problems in veterans of the 1991 Gulf War: Effe

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by osisposis, Aug 16, 2016.

1. osisposis

osisposis Senior Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4724528/

Chemical exposures have become the focus of etiologic GWI research because nervous system symptoms are prominent and many neurotoxicants were present in theater, including organophosphates (OPs), carbamates, and other pesticides; sarin/cyclosarin nerve agents, and pyridostigmine bromide (PB) medications used as prophylaxis against chemical warfare attacks. Psychiatric etiologies have been ruled out.

Hutan likes this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    I've only read a bit of this so far but it looks to be a well written, credible review article on GWI.

There is interesting information including incidence (25 to 32% of veterans) and a pointing to specific causes which do not include the psychological trauma of war:

I was not aware that the causes of GWI had been identified so I will read the rest of the article with interest, particularly to consider if the suggested causes might be relevant to my family's illness.

3. osisposis

osisposis Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.