1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reasons I get to treat myself today

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Dainty, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Washington State
    I was sitting here justifying in my head why I've earned the "indulgence" of taking it easy and doing whatever I want/need in that moment, and I thought it would be fun to start a thread on it.

Today's reasons:
    • I did a huge amount yesterday. I'm entitled to recover from that.
    • I've accomplished a lot already. No need to do more right this minute (or hour, or day...)
    • A friend told me to.
    • If I rest now I might get the chance to play with my bunny later.
    • I need to cancel out those years of depravity and suffering with a little enjoyment/relief.
    And with that, I am off. :)
    WillowJ, aimossy, rosie26 and 2 others like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    We need a picture of your bunny!
    Dainty, ahimsa, WillowJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Washington State
    Indeed, that is an oversight I must rectify. Will start another thread for that.

In the meantime...does everyone else find it so easy to treat themselves that they don't need to list reasons to do it?? :p Aww, c'mon, don't tell me I'm the only one...
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    @Dainty,

I try to remind myself that resting is a necessary part of my treatment plan, not an indulgence, for my current situation. I have a quote in my signature that I use whenever I feel like taking some much needed rest is "doing nothing" or "being lazy." Here's a larger version:

It might look like I'm doing nothing ... but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.

PS. Bunny! Awwww.... just the thought of it is making me happy. :) No hurry, of course, but I also would love to see a photo.
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  5. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Washington State
    Bunny thread posted! :)

I love that quote! And yes, it's an absolutely crucial part of my recovery as well. I guess the problem I find is that it feels like an indulgence even though it isn't one. Getting myself to slow down and do the things that "normal" people consider indulgences often takes work and intentional reasoning, and sometimes I need a little more of a push than the thought that I won't heal otherwise. (Maybe that's totally weird, I don't know...)

See more popular forum discussions.