1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reasons for autumn relapse?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by Jenny, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Calathea

Calathea Darkness therapy

Scotland
    I think massage can make things worse sometimes, yep. I've had very different responses to massage treatments over the years, sometimes because of my physical state, sometimes because of the type of massage. You'd think that the gentler types of massage would be less likely to knock you out, but not always. Would shorter treatments help, perhaps?

I'm too tired to reread the entire thread, but have we discussed central heating, closed windows and dry air as a possibility yet?

2. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Thanks very much for these suggestions Calathea. The central heating could be a factor, but we don't usually have it on until late Oct and I've started to get worse by then! And yes, closed windows could be a problem. Not sure what one can do about that.

On the massage, yes, the Perrin lymphatic drainage massage is supposed to make you worse at first, and he thinks that's a good sign ('toxins' mobilised as drainage improves etc). Who knows. It is actually quite a short treatment, only 30 mins.

Thanks again.

Jenny

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I had a quick Google, but could not find any hormone that is seasonal; but I expect there may be some.

4. Calathea

Scotland
    I seem to recall that fertility is higher in the winter due to more darkness causing higher melatonin levels, but I doubt that would make much difference to someone with ME past the point where they are more or less housebound and thus not receiving much, if anything, in the way of natural light/dark cues. Anyway, melatonin levels could potentially be affecting something here. Although if that were the case for Jenny, the lightbox would probably help. By the way, Jenny, how long are you using the lightbox for every day? If it's the GoLite, the instructions hugely underestimate usage time, at least they did when I bought mine about 6 years ago. They were saying 15-20 min, but I find that 45 min is what's needed to have a definite effect (in my case, shifting my circadian clock from 25h to 24h).

5. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    I use it for about an hour a day, but it's not a very powerful box. Think I might try 45 mins twice a day.

Jenny

6. Calathea

Scotland
    Which brand/model is it?

7. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London

8. Calathea

Scotland
    It's hard to tell as no one uses a light box at 7.5cm, but from those stats I'd expect a 2-3 hour usage time or more, and you may even need to leave it on for the greater part of the day (don't use it in the evening). If you can get it to above eye level that will help a bit, as the relevant receptors are mainly in the upper part of the eye. I am not aware of any pure blue fluorescent light boxes on the market, they're usually just cool white lights with a tiny bit more in the blue spectrum than a comparable warm white light would have. You need a much brighter light for it to be effective when it's a cool white light compared to the blue ones, but on the other hand a lot of people don't like coloured light and find white to be more pleasant to be around.

9. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Speculating again here...ho hum :rolleyes:...but I wouldn't be surprised if some of our gut bacteria colonies have cycles, which could be realated to seasons. Maybe influenced by endogenous chemicals which are seasonal. It's a stretch to try and pin one thing down...but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised! :D

See more popular forum discussions.