• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Really nasty cold after starting methylation supps

Tammy

@frchli .............when I started on liquid methylb12/adeno mixture I noticed my face would get flushed...........it still happens once in awhile but not as much. I am not taking any other B's at the moment........so I know it was the b12. Just noting.

frchli

Cutaneous mastocytosis, IBS, Intolerances, MCS,...
Thanks for the insight, @Tammy! I was wondering because the amounts of B Complex I had were as tiny as possible... Plus, it occurred 3 hrs after taking the supplements whereas Niacin is supposed to start giving you a flush within half and hour or so. So thanks for your thoughts on this! You didn't notice it vanishing when taking more Mfolate or something else though, did you?

Tammy

Thanks for the insight, @Tammy! I was wondering because the amounts of B Complex I had were as tiny as possible... Plus, it occurred 3 hrs after taking the supplements whereas Niacin is supposed to start giving you a flush within half and hour or so. So thanks for your thoughts on this! You didn't notice it vanishing when taking more Mfolate or something else though, did you?
I am not taking Mfolate as yet.......might add in the future.............I do try and get it through foods though. I think the flushing is vanishing to an extinct just because my body is getting used to it.......that's just a guess.

whodathunkit

at least 3 out of us seem to have gall bladder problems despite that not being the actual reason we started writing in this post. I am so curious how this is all connected...!
I don't know for sure, but I'm beginning to suspect gall bladder issues have a lot to do with leaky gut and other gut issues. But the problems aren't diagnosed because we don't get bile tested as a rule, and don't get abdominal ultrasounds or other more pricey diagnostic procedures unless we have acute symptoms. But maybe we can have low bile or poorly functioning gall bladder without any gall stones. From what I understand there is also a "sludge" that can form in the gall bladder, composed of very, very small cholesterol stones and weak bile, that can inhibit gall bladder function, that is not always detectable via ultrasound or other diagnostics, but can also impact the functioning of the gall bladder. I dunno. I'm beginning to think it's a wider-spread problem than mainstream medicine or any of us suspects. We're still hearing about low stomach acid, but what's if it's also "subclinical" gall bladder problems? But that's just a suspicion of mine, and I don't really have time to do a bunch of research on it.

When I started methylation I went through a lot of "yang" type symptoms, with a lot of excess body fluids, especially in my nose and mouth. My crashes with the colds and flu's also tended to be yang, with a lot of stuff running out various orifices (sorry again for TMI :lol:). The yang sickness symptoms were a big departure for me, because for a couple decades previous I had tended to have "yin" type illnesses, where everything got really stuffed and stagnant. I'd have a nose so stuffed I couldn't breathe, but it was never productive and I couldn't get anything out. Usually I didn't have a fever, either, or it was low-grade. I'd just feel like crap for a while until it passed, whereupon I usually felt just a little worse than I did before I got sick. This was until I started methylation. Then it was like all the stagnant garbage I'd been storing and carrying around just came running out. o_O Methylation also put me through some yang type temperament problems with aggressiveness/grouchy/touchy, stuff like that. That was not entirely new but I hadn't had those types of problems for quite a few years. At least, they weren't as "acute". :devil::D

Anyway, @ahmo has a good document in her signature with good info about Freddd's protocol and symptoms.

You can also read the two sticky threads at the top of this forum
Active B12 Protocol Basics and B-12 - The Hidden Story The B12 Hidden Story thread in particular is kind of long, but a lot of good info there. IMO you should also research posts by user Freddd. That's actually how I got going and kept myself going for the first few months...relentlessly researching what Freddd had written. After you read a while, some of it is the same stuff (because people inevitably ask the same questions), but there's also lots of nuggets in there. Plus you never know what's going to float to the top that will benefit you.

frchli

Cutaneous mastocytosis, IBS, Intolerances, MCS,...
Thanks for your really useful reply, @whodathunkit!

I have had ultrasound scans quite a few times. It all looks great in there, apparently! Only my small intestine was hypomotile at some point. I still had SIBO at the time so maybe that was the reason?! Though I have never had an ultrasound while my stool was yellow/orange so maybe I sound try and catch it while it's happening. I'll be sure to let you guys know if I ever find anything that explains it/helps!

My crashes with the colds and flu's also tended to be yang, with a lot of stuff running out various orifices (sorry again for TMI :lol:).
DITO. ;)

The yang sickness symptoms were a big departure for me, because for a couple decades previous I had tended to have "yin" type illnesses, where everything got really stuffed and stagnant.
SNAP! :D Though I still get a bit clogged up just now and wasn't at all for like 2 years after the big health crash. It was weird: I NEVER got a cold/flu etc. during that time but ALL the time before. I have read that from a few others though... Interesting!

And thanks for pointing out good information to me!
It's kind of crazy, how much B Complex and MB12 in small doses together with quite a bit (~3200mcg) MFolate have changed my state since Friday. SOMETHING is definitely happening:
I seem to be getting slightly more tolerant to MB12/B Complex and despite the allergic/stuffy symptoms increasing to before I started (but decreased compared to when I JUST started), so is my energy level plus MCS is decreasing so I am going to stick to it for a while! I've been cycling quite a bit without the usual exhaustion.

However, I have gained 5 kg of ... (water/edema? food just sitting in my tummy/intestine—I definitely have intestinal reactions as you did. My food seems to just sit in the intestine/have done quite a few enemas to get it moving as it was painful *TMI*) within the past 2 weeks which I find slightly strange. I was underweight in the first place so I am not too worried but it doesn't feel nice/feels like a waterfilled balloon that it about to burst... hm! Any insight? I guess histamine opens the vessels and lets water get into the tissue to cure the inflammation, hmmm! Also, I seem to need to pee a LOT (as in 2 litres [!!!] at once after I returned from the doctor where I went on the scales and noticed the sudden weight gain) and especially at night.
My kidneys are absolutely fine according to blood values — should I be worried anyway? My face gets super puffy and my saliva starts floating excessively every now and then... for hours, sometimes!

Take care and have a nice day!:balloons:

Athene*

Hi @whodathunkit You might not see this, but I hope you do. I'm really stuck. I'm at a similar stage you were at in your above description. I was doing well on Freddd's protocol (30mg folate, 10mg injected b12 daily as well as Ado and LCF 1/3 of 500mg tablet & other co factors). I had high MCV and pernicious anaemia antibodies on a lab test in 1999, but doctors missed it all and I was never treated with B12.

I haven't been able to get back on track since I began sunflower lecithin for choline (part of Freddd's protocol and because I have PEMT snp ++) a few months ago - it seems to have triggered a latent gall bladder issue. Pancreatic enzymes seem to have gone away too - I've had to take 25,000 Creon (digestive enzymes) since last month, with every meal, along with ox bile. The ox bile helped with upper right tummy pain and the enzymes immediately stopped the constant diarrhoea after eating.
Can you say how you're managing the gall bladder issue? It's all new to me and am not sure how long to stay on these supplements. Do you know why choline might have started this? Did that ever happen to you? I only take a third of the RDA dose of the sunflower lecithin powder...

Athene*

P.S. I remember Freddd saying he had his gall bladder removed - it was before he began the methylation supplements. He said it was full of 'sand' (consultant told him). Interesting how many of us have this.

Allow me to share some insight that I think I have on this. Please note, I am only sharing what I do and I am not encouraging anyone to try this. The purpose however is to show that flu like symptoms should be expected.

I have noticed that when I am inflamed, I do not absorb the methylfolate when taken orally. I then resort to inject-able b9. Again, do not do this at home, please talk to you doctor.

What is insightful is that within about 8 hours, I get what feels exactly like the flu and I can barely move. In short, if you are getting flu like symptoms, rejoice as you are likely absorbing your B9. Usually subsides in a day and half for me. I feel amazing and inflammation subsides mostly.

Freddd

P.S. I remember Freddd saying he had his gall bladder removed - it was before he began the methylation supplements. He said it was full of 'sand' (consultant told him). Interesting how many of us have this.

Hi Athene,

In 1972 I was t-boned by a truck. The cross belt caught me under the ribs on the right side. I had apparantky a damaged gallbladder. causing pain under my right shoulder bone for decades. My obviously gall bladder problems started about 1990, about 2-3 years after the start of methylation /,mitochondria massive failure. I had finally a gall stone go down and that put me in the ER for the night. THey did a sonogram and surgery was the following week. THey stated to do it endo- style, very new at the time in 1995. They were unable to collapse the bladder for removal.so they had to cut me open the traditional way. Double your pleasure The surgery told me it would make a great blackjack; a quarter inch think scar tissue with nothing bladder like about it packed tight with coarse sand and fine gravel. I started MeCbl in 2003 and methylfolate in 2005. My cholesterol chemistry has changed much for the better since starting the Deadlock Quartet.

Freddd

Allow me to share some insight that I think I have on this. Please note, I am only sharing what I do and I am not encouraging anyone to try this. The purpose however is to show that flu like symptoms should be expected.

I have noticed that when I am inflamed, I do not absorb the methylfolate when taken orally. I then resort to inject-able b9. Again, do not do this at home, please talk to you doctor.

What is insightful is that within about 8 hours, I get what feels exactly like the flu and I can barely move. In short, if you are getting flu like symptoms, rejoice as you are likely absorbing your B9. Usually subsides in a day and half for me. I feel amazing and inflammation subsides mostly.

@Master4thDegree,

What kind of folate makes a difference. I would like to mention that the year after I started MeCbl while taking folic acid I got sick for the last time with a bad cold or moderate flu. The widespread inflammation appears to come from insufficient in the compartment methylfolate. It has happened for me by folic acid caused deficiency by blocking the methylfolate, it has happened with "paradoxicaL folate deficiency where some healing is happening and some methylfolate deficiency is occurring in other compartments. It can happen from methyltrap caused by CyCbl or HyCbl or MeCbl deficiency, spoiled MeCbl photolytic deteriorated MeCbl is HyCbl.. Also, methyltrap cause by things like Glutathione and/or NAC can cause the inflammation. It can tell one a lot depending upon order of things and combinations.

Athene*

Hi Athene,

In 1972 I was t-boned by a truck. The cross belt caught me under the ribs on the right side. I had apparantky a damaged gallbladder. causing pain under my right shoulder bone for decades. My obviously gall bladder problems started about 1990, about 2-3 years after the start of methylation /,mitochondria massive failure. I had finally a gall stone go down and that put me in the ER for the night. THey did a sonogram and surgery was the following week. THey stated to do it endo- style, very new at the time in 1995. They were unable to collapse the bladder for removal.so they had to cut me open the traditional way. Double your pleasure The surgery told me it would make a great blackjack; a quarter inch think scar tissue with nothing bladder like about it packed tight with coarse sand and fine gravel. I started MeCbl in 2003 and methylfolate in 2005. My cholesterol chemistry has changed much for the better since starting the Deadlock Quartet.
Sounds like it needed to come out @Freddd ! Sorry I missed your post. Unfortunately I had bad news.