• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Really high b6. What's it mean?

PennyIA

Look up the B6 toxicity information. I know I had a lot of pretty serious issues that relate to the symptoms of B6 toxicity, took FAR TOO long to get doctors to test me for it, and then when I asked what to do to reduce it.... I got a lot of blank stares and shrugs...finally one doctor said, well, don't take it anymore.

I know that for about 3 years post-taking B6 my levels dropped based on test results, but the symptoms didn't improve.

But almost all of my symptoms resolved after I started trying methylation treatment (the ones that seem to be left feel more likely ME/CFS and/or connective tissue disorder - I can't get a diagnosis either way... but it's probably down to those).

The only two things I tried during that time frame that were different from the years before when I still had symptoms were... Taking 5mg methylfolate (at the time, my dose is different now) and taking 20 minute Epsom salt baths three times a week. Within four weeks I had a dramatic improvement in the symptoms that were unique to B6 toxicity and uncommon to ME/CFS (a lot of the neuropathy, etc). Since that point in time, my ME/CFS are relapsing/remitting - but the symptoms that were unique to B6 toxicity did not return.

I've posted this suggestion before and got pointed to a couple of studies relating that magnesium helps 'use up' b6... but I don't have the links any longer.

JES

Normally B6 toxicity would only be a concern if you supplemented with a very high dosage like 100 mg a day. That could possibly cause neuropathy and other symptoms.

I have off the chart blood readings for B6 as well, but without even having taken a supplement. There is a theory that some people are slow or unable to convert B6 (Pyridoxine) to the active B6 forms in the body, which would cause all inactive B6 to accumulate in the blood. To fix that you should switch the B6 supplement to P-5-P form instead, which requires less conversion in the body.

Anyway, for myself I'm not too concerned about this high B6 reading, it's unlikely to attribute to my CFS/ME symptoms in any significant way.

PennyIA

I was taking 50 mg (the smallest dosage available) when I was diagnosed with B6 toxicity. That's part of the reason it was a battle to get the doctors to test me for it.

I do agree that it's feasible that the theory that some people have trouble converting Pyridoxine to active forms... and that's likely what I was struggling with.

BUT... I can also tell you that taking P-5-P gives me bad side effects. I can't take it longer than a week or two without getting ill. I am doing a better job of monitoring side effects and trying to take new doses or shifting my dosing over long periods so I can try to capture the culprits earlier - whereas when I started to take B6 I added three things, was recovering from a major health event and had no clue it might have been related to the supplement I was taking.