1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Real" energy from Vyvanse, Strattera etc?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ninan, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

But I was tired at first. Try a smaller dose, who knows. You might have the same effect. But I guess you would have felt the energy as the concentration went down.
  2. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    I had major problems with that same issue and found two things out:
    High Adrenalin = Agitation intolerance (some scientific argument about this)
    Low Noradrenalin = Sensory intolerance (the bit of the brain that filters input is highly dependant on it, seems widely agreed).

I ended up having a test done to look into this stuff.
    Hanna and Ninan like this.
  3. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

I'm thinking that benzo might fix the sensory overload business and hence stop that huge energy leakage.

Anyway, I get high fevers from antibiotics too. Maybe I'm just the mystery woman from Mars.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    heapsreal likes this.
  4. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Interesting! How do you fix it?
  5. Leopardtail

England
    Recent test results so still working on it.
    I had high Adrenalin, low Noradrenalin, high Dopamine.
    I already found vitamin C improves both mood and health and is used to convert Dopamine to Noradrenaline, so suspect that's part of the picture.
    What I need to work out is why Noradrenalin is being converted to Adrenalin too fast and whether my low Blood Volume is causing the high Adrenalin to maintain blood pressure.

Right now my primary focus is the low blood pressure and what is causing it... I know saline infusion causes a massive improvement in symptoms and I feel much better cerebrally when lying down.
    Ninan likes this.
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    @Ninan, Some people with ME have an upregulated autonomic nervous system. Benzos will shift it back down to normal, so what you are experiencing is really not so weird.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Ninan likes this.
  7. Leopardtail

England
    The degree is up-regulation is half at what was weird right at the top of the 95% range, as yet I have seen research showing that level of hormone, it's enough for a medic to consider it as threatening. What was also weird is that the third (and the middle one) was the very bottom of the normal range making that pattern strange.

There has been some research in the Central Nervious System, not much in general circulation (where I did this) hence we really need the thorough approach I used to be taken on a wider scale to give us far better data on ME patients.

As said though Vitamin C helps a lot. What I did not say is that pattern of hormones is not possible in Summer because the situation with my diabetes (which I also have) looks very different in Summer and would not be possible with those hormone levels.
  8. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    modafinil did give me an energy boost but at the cost of a severe headache.

actually yes, as it started to wear off. I had it for a procedure sometimes and felt drowsy and not all with it, but at least once, later or the next day I felt better and more alert and it helped with sound sensitivity. The next 2-3 days, though, the sensitivity seemed worse.
    Ninan likes this.
  9. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    @Leoopardtail, that reply was meant for Ninan. I will edit it to say so. With every thing I have read about internet spying, I thought you could just read my mind. ;)
    Ninan and WillowJ like this.
  10. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Maybe modafinil raised your blood pressure too much? Could explain the headache.

It seems that low dose benzo could give energy for some reason. Maybe @Little Bluestem is right? Though I always figured my CNS was down regulated since it fails to control my orthostatic problems etc. But who knows?
  11. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Sounds like we may have the same thing going on. Sensory overload is a huge problem for me. It ruins my life, prevents me from doing all the things I enjoy, socialize etc. And it steals all my energy.

I get better from IV saline too.

And I can feel the blood leaving my brain when I've overdone it. Can you?
  12. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    increasing dopamine might also help sensory overload as it may help u to concentrate better at the job at hand instead of being distracted??

Just a thought.
    Ninan likes this.
  13. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

heapsreal likes this.
  14. Leopardtail

England
    What's more noticeable for me is the blood entering my brain when volume goes up (e.g. on rare occasions when I get saline) - head starts working, face ells warmer, colour comes back.
    For me the degradation occurs over a few hours then I stay bad.
  15. Leopardtail

England
    already have loads of Dopamine Heaps (too much), not managed to work out why yet.
    Dopamine and Norepinephrine both seem involved in this stuff, different types of concentration. I am really not sure how well science understand the effects though. These things affect each other (e.g. Dopamine and Adrenalin both low Noradrenaline) - so unless you study them all at once, it's tough to know what's happening.
  16. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    It seems like its really trial and error when trying to fix certain neurotransmitters, also different hormones also play a significant role in neurotransmitters eg pregnenolone, dhea, cortisol.
    My understanding is that even trying to test neurotransmitters isnt really accurate as they can fluctuate alot??
  17. Leopardtail

England
    You can't test for 'true' neurotransmitters, only their circulating counterparts (e.g. dopamine is both). Most doctors do serum test that are too volatile to be any use at all, platelet tests are better in that they give a two hour average and a much clearer picture.

The testing issue is equally true for almost all hormones though, they all shoot up and down which is part of the reason doctors like trophic hormones such as TSH. At the end of the day you have to look at both the symptoms and the tests results to draw a conclusion.

My personal approach if a hormone is out of whack, it to look at possible reasons the body might deliberately alter levels, rule those out first before taking action or allowing a doctor to. It's blood hard work to do though.
    Ninan and heapsreal like this.

See more popular forum discussions.