1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reading Tea Leaves

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Ember, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

By Jennie Spotila
    March 24th, 2014
    More...

2. Ember

Ember Senior Member

According to Jennie, “ME/CFS patients experience more than fatigue after exertion; we suffer from an exacerbation of all symptoms (including immune symptoms), and 'fatigue' is a completely inadequate word to describe the prostration and collapse.” She writes:
    However, the descriptions of post-exertional prostration or collapse vary. The CCC describes the tendency for other associated symptoms within the patient's cluster of symptoms to worsen during Post-Exertional Malaise and/or Fatigue:
    But symptom exacerbation, primarily in the neuroimmune regions, defines Post-Exertional Neuroimmune Exhaustion (PENE) according to the ICC:
    Such differences matter: “If PEM is equated to fatigue lasting more than 24 hours after exertion – which is reported by Gulf War veterans – the argument that post-exertional malaise is unique to ME/CFS falls apart.”

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Actually, the argument might not fall apart even then. What if a large subset of GWI is in fact ME, just ME from particular triggers? If you go back through the epidemics, ME symptoms do seem to vary a bit, cluster by cluster.

However I do think we need PEM/PENE biomarkers to be sure of anything.

4. Ember

Ember Senior Member

I can't relate to the term "PEM," except as a warning sign.

See more popular forum discussions.