• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reading on paper vs on screen

Old Bones

@Gingergrrl and @loakley001 I, too, do better reading printed text on paper than I do on working on computer screens. Not only is my comprehension better, but also, it is less fatiguing. It doesn't take long for my eyelids to swell up and my eyes to look "buggy" watching any type of screen. As a result, we never go to movies anymore, and we don't even have a usable TV -- no cable, hence no picture. The few times we view a movie on the laptop, we split it into segments, watching it over a period of two or more days.

One thing I realized about working on computers long before I was ill was that although my documents looked fine on the screen, once they were printed out I often noticed typos/spelling errors. So, there definitely is something different about how the brain processes text on paper vs screens. Perhaps it depends on what you experience when young. I grew up in the days of manual typewriters, carbon paper and erasers!

slysaint

Not quite the same thing, but I've noticed that if I'm bent over, say looking at something on the floor, sometimes(not always) my eyes can focus and I can see really clearly. Usually my vision is blurred to some degree and I have to wear one of my many pairs of reading glasses. I can't figure out if it's maybe something to do with the blood going to my head or what. Anyone else notice this?

Gingergrrl

@Old Bones That is interesting and I also did not grow up in the days of computers and they only really came into use when I was in college (but I did not purchase my own until graduate school to write my thesis.)

I have no problems using the computer to write an essay or to read boards like PR but if I am reading a journal article or something that requires deeper comprehension, I absolutely have to print it out and have it in my hand to highlight and make notes or my brain does not retain the info. I have never owned a Kindle or any kind of computer reader for that reason.

I have no problems watching TV though as long as there are not flashing lights or moving patterns. But bright colors or static images or just standard stuff like people walking around or cars driving on TV do not bother me at all.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Lately I've been taking Liposomal Glutathione and have noticed that my computer monitor tolerance time has increased. Brain fog is reduced in general as well. I'm taking Terry Naturally Clinical Glutathione, 2 tablets per day. It's fairly expensive ($60 per month) so I only bought one box (60 tablets) to try. Now that I know it works for me I'll make my own the same way I make liposomal vitamin-c.