• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reactions to colostrum

zzz0r

I am looking for people that have tried colostrum (bovine or goat) in order to accelerate the process of healing their gut linning. For those you have tried it did you have any reactions(bad or good). I am particularly looking into histamine increase.

drob31

There's a product called transfer factor that contains different types of colostrum. Although you'd need to figure out what part of your immune system is over/underactive and which part it would stimulate.

whodathunkit

I tried colostrum a couple of times but it caused a bad reaction with my uterine fibroids. Somehow I don't think that's an issue for you. LOL Mentioning because colostrum apparently can cause an increase in IGF-1 and I think that's my problem with it. I've had reactions to other things that cause increases in IGF-1. Dunno if IGF-1 is a concern with histamine reactions. As far as I"m aware I don't have problems with histamine so haven't really gotten knowledgeable about the issue.

zzz0r

I tried goat colostrum today. Unfortunately it causes histamine rise!! I am still trying to find something that will help wth my gut

alicec

I can't tolerate even the smallest amount of it. For me I don't think it's histamine - don't seem to have problems with that.

I can't tolerate whey either and I'm inclined to think it is free glutamate that is causing me the problem.

zzz0r

I am pretty postivie its histamine with me. Why do you say that is related to free glutamate in your case?

alicec

Why do you say that is related to free glutamate in your case?

I don't react to various histamine-containing foods so I don't think that is an issue with me.

I reacted so badly to whey, not just crude whey powder but also to purified hydrolysed whey, that I did some searching to try to understand why.

According to an article I found, which I now can't lay my hands on, even purified whey preparations are a rich source of free glutamate. Since I do have problems with glutamate, I thought this was a likely explanation.

I was a bit dubious about trying colostrum because it does seem to contain whey but thought I'd go ahead. Maybe there wasn't a lot of whey, maybe I'm not so sensitive now (in general many sensitivities have improved).

I definitely reacted to 1/16 tsp (sleep disturbance, jitteriness, irritability), so didn't pursue it.

Glutamate may not be the reason, there are lots of active substances there, but in light of the whey experience I thought it a strong possibility.

renski

There's a product called transfer factor that contains different types of colostrum. Although you'd need to figure out what part of your immune system is over/underactive and which part it would stimulate.

@drob31 how would you figure out which part of the immune system is overactive? Thanks

L'engle

moogle
I was thinking of trying it, though I don't have huge stomach problems. Sounds like a mine-field of potential side effects and things to look into so I don't think I will bother for now.