• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reacting bad to citrates?

At the end of last year I had a major crash that had me ended up at the ER. Heart complete out of wack (from 80 to 160 and back, again and again), extreme full body muscle spasms, very wired and anxious, extremely sensitive to light and sound. I don’t know for sure what caused this, BUT I have a couple of suspects.. One of the things I changed right before was taking new supplements in citrate form.

I still haven’t recovered from the crash. I’m still in relapse land. From a couple years in a “comfortable” housebound zone back to being bedridden. I have a really hard time eating, so I’m also back to mostly liquids and mixed foods, including supplementary/dietary drinks (don’t know the right term..).

A couple days ago I changed dietary drinks. Later that evening I had a similar reaction, luckily all symptoms a couple notches down. That was the only thing I changed that day, so I checked the ingredients and again all the frigging citrates.. Mag citrate, Cal citrate, Iron citrate, citric acid as additive and concentrated orange juice (yuck!).

Did any of you ever have a similar reaction? Or aren't I making any sense.. I am not really able to look for possible similar threads. Any feedback would be welcome! :) And pardon my English, I’m not from around the block ;).

Helen

Hi @Hayes ,

Sorry to hear about your reactions to citric acid. I learnt with great surprise, that citric acid is produced from mold !! So if you are mold sensitive, you might also react to citric acid or vice versa. I hope this information can help you to sort out things better. You´ll find a lot of facts by googling.

Plum

I get contact dermatitis from citric acid. I don't eat anything containing it so not sure how the inside of me would react! As a result of my reaction I did learn that it is made from mould so I try to avoid it.

Last edited: