• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RCT of placebo vs Valcyte for PWME - Montoya unpublished study results?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm desperately trying to get enough evidence on Valcyte for PWME with elevated HHV-6/EBV titres to get treatment for my elevated HHV-6 on the :eek: NHS.

My understanding was that Dr Montoya hadn't yet published his RCT work but I'm watching this video:

put up by his university of a talk he gave in early 2011. At about 28 minutes in, he talks about a placebo-controlled RCT of Valcyte for PWME with elevated HHV-6/EBV titres, complete with slides and numbers.

Presumably this still hasn't been published?

Is anyone clever enough to pull screenshots of those slides? I'd like to summarise this info for my doctor.

So excited I haven't watched the rest of the video yet - who knows what he'll say next...

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Actually, is anybody clever enough to drop the screenshots of his slides on the RCT into a document that I could email my doctor?

I wish I knew how to do this stuff... :confused:

Mark

On Windows, Alt-Print Screen copies the currently active window to the clipboard. Then in MS Paint (which is in Accessories, or type Windows-R to Run and type mspaint), you can paste (Ctrl-V) the image in, do any necessary editing, cropping etc, and save (as GIF or PNG, ideally). That's a slightly cruder method than dedicated screen-capture software, but has the advantage that it's always available on any Windows system and it's always worked well enough for me. Now I'm on Mac, I just use Grab - much better. SnagIt is even better but not free.

Once I've got the image of the active window pasted into Paint, I normally draw a box round the part of the image I want (you have to click the Select tool first, which is a dotted rectangle towards the top left of the screen), hit Ctrl-C to copy that, then Ctrl-N to open a new image, No to saving the original, then Ctrl-V to paste in my selection.

Tutorial on screenshots here:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Recommended free software described here:
http://lifehacker.com/5880928/the-best-screen-capture-tool-for-windows

RUkiddingME

Hi Sasha; if you print a copy of the following documents to bring to him it might help. I brought copies to my GP to convince her to prescribe Valcyte to me in Canada as per my Infectious Disease doctor in the US. Also what helped convince my GP is that on top of titers for my HHV6 and EBV I had positive results from the Wisconsin Viral Lab which proved an active infection with PCR and rapid culture. Dr. Lerner also has interesting papers (below) The Montoya October, 2012 paper is not very detailed but anything might help. Good luck!! http://peoplewithme.com/thread-1804.html

Attachments

• MECFSTreatmentResourceGuideforPractitioners.pdf
    701.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Dr.A.MartinLerner-Subset-directed-antiviral-treatment-of-142-herpesvirus-patients-with-CFS.pdf
    314.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Kogelnik.pdf
    303.5 KB · Views: 12

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, RU - I already sent him those (apart from the Lerner treatment protocol because at this stage he's going to want evidence of efficacy) but it's interesting that you had an extra test that your doctor found convincing.

Argh, we patients shouldn't have to work so hard to get treatment!