• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Raw and fermented foods for gut and immune health

KRR

As a former nutritionist, of the independent research persuasion, I've always been a proponent of "live" foods in general - raw, naturally fermented, even raw animal products such as eggs, some fish (raw or marinated), raw dairy (where available) and some meats all from highest quality sources - organic, pastured, etc. Largely in the Weston Price tradition.

I've shied away from many of the foods with higher microbial content in recent years, but am considering gradually adding in small amounts of naturally fermented veggies such as sauerkraut, like a probiotic supplement.

My CFS research has focused mainly on Dr Chia's work and I haven't delved into the researchers who focus mainly on diet and the gut. So I'm wondering if there is a consensus about how a person with CFS who naturally has gut issues should generally approach foods and supplements that have a high microbial content, whether these should generally be used with caution if one hasn't gone through specific testing.