• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rash - worse after hot shower?

I remember a few weeks after first getting ill, noticing a rash on my right hand, and ever since then (2 years) I've either had a rash, or a rash will suddenly flare up after showering (mainly on my hand but also can be right across my body.) Does anyone else have anything similar? It doesn't really tend to itch. I had eczema a lot as a child and I know it's not that. I also don't think it's fungal because I used a fungal cream for ages and it didn't go away. Any thoughts? It doesn't particularly bother me because now it only seems to happen after a shower and then fade again within about half an hour. I'm just curious because I'm pretty sure it's related/part of my ME but I guess there is a chance it could be co-morbid/an effect of lifestyle change somehow? Any thoughts?

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
Have you looked into MCAS / MCAD ?

If it doesn't itch is it just red splotches? As in flushing?

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
If you have POTS or OH it could also be blood pooling. Which happens after a hot shower, especially if you are standing to shower.

I think I might have POTS, though haven't had a test yet. I've uploaded a photo below, which doesn't show it very well. It look a lot redder and angrier in real life, but like I say, it's gone completely now because it only lasts about half an hour after the shower.

Attachments

• rash.jpg
    rash.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 28
It may be a particularly sensitive patch of your skin. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have a feeling the causative agent may be dermatological substances, not so much the heat from a hot shower.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I used to get a rash from shower in the early years, it was quite common w/ patients at Lyndonville clinic.
There was a particular name for it, but it is long lost to my brain. If I come up with it I will post back.
I do know that in and of itself it was benign.