• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rare illness 'clusters' in Wales spark EU-wide alert

Bob

Rare illness 'clusters' in Wales spark EU-wide alert
28 January 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35434377

Health officials in Wales have alerted European colleagues after an "unusual" spike in illnesses that leave patients with facial weakness or paralysis.

Ten men in south Wales have been diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome, and four children with "acute flaccid paralysis".

Public Health Wales said the conditions were "not contagious" and most people "recover well".

Medics believe a viral infection - potentially flu - could be responsible.

Researchers say they are continuing to examine other possible infections which might be responsible, as seven of the men had respiratory illnesses before developing the neurological syndromes.

They are also trying to establish whether it is the same cause that led to children becoming temporarily paralysed.

Some have tested positive for a viral infection, known as an enterovirus.

halcyon

I wonder if (especially a mild case of ) Guillain-Barré syndrome can easily be mistaken for ME.
It's possible. If this is part of a larger enterovirus outbreak, it's conceivable that some people are going to come down with ME from it. We'll never hear about them though. Those patients will spend the coming months and years trying to figure out what's wrong with them.

picante

They should be checking whether these people were vaccinated recently. There is an association.
http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Influenza.aspx
The most serious reaction that has been associated with flu vaccine is Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) which occurs most often within two to four weeks of vaccination. GBS is an immune mediated nerve disorder characterized by muscle weakness, unsteady gait, numbness, tingling, pain and sometimes paralysis of one or more limbs or the face. Recovery takes several months and can include residual disability. Less than 5 percent of GBS cases end in death.
In 2013 the Federal Advisory Commission on Childhood Vaccines (ACCV) voted to add GBS to the Vaccine Injury Table within the federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP).