• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Radiofrequency Turbinoplasty Anyone?

Prefect

I'm looking for a way to have the turbinates in my nasal passages shrunk to improve my sleep and breathing.

For some inexplicable reason nasal steroid sprays make me depressed (a condition I never suffer from).

Since my illness began, my nasal passageways are for some reason clogged (no discharge, no sinus infections, just feels swollen in there, especially when I lie down, all year round).

I'm looking for a way to shrink stuff in there which does not involve general anesthesia.

I came across this method, which involves lidocane injections into your turbinates and they shrink over the next few weeks. Local anasthetic, brief operation, you go home right after it.

Has anyone here had this done and what was it like? How long did it take to recover from the surgery itself?

Cheers,

TenuousGrip

I've had five FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgeries) in my life and still have sinus issues. I sympathize.

But ... older and wiser ... the only thing I do now is irrigate, irrigate, irrigate.

I use a 16oz NeilMed bottle and three packets of their pre-mixed (or generic version) saline. I do this once, twice, or three times a day, as needed.

If things are getting out of control I add Akalol to the mix.

IMHO, it does a better job than anything else ... and zero side effects.

Good luck ... whichever path you take !

Mohawk1995

Radiofrequency ablation is a fancy term for cauterizing with high frequency radio waves. Problem is if your nasal passages are blocked because of swollen tissue then the treatment may cause scar tissue or need to be repeated because the tissue will grow back.

If you talk with a physician about this procedure, definitely ask what he/she hopes to accomplish by performing the surgery and what are the likelihood that the tissue will regenerate?

I agree with @TenuousGrip about saline flushes and as noted they are safe if done correctly. Our son who is now in remission is much improved in this aspect although he still has sinus issues (just not continually).

Prefect

I use a 16oz NeilMed bottle and three packets of their pre-mixed (or generic version) saline. I do this once, twice, or three times a day, as needed.

I agree with @TenuousGrip about saline flushes and as noted they are safe if done correctly. Our son who is now in remission is much improved in this aspect although he still has sinus issues (just not continually)

Trust me I've been on and off an avid neti potter, but I stopped a couple of years ago because I noticed doing too much of it seemed to cause sinus infections, something I don't normally get. I then read somewhere too much irrigation can remove some protective film or other in sinuses that can cause more infections.

Now I occasionally use those hydrasense tubes I give my toddler on myself, they work like a charm.

How often would you say you irrigate a day to shrink your turbinates?

I would go back to neti but another reason is I don't have time to boil water to sanitize and then wait for it to cool down for neti ptting. I read you can use distilled water but all the ones I see in the grocery store say "Ozonated Distilled Water". What does that mean? Is ozonated water safe to irrigate with?