Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Quick Bloodtest Question

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by David Jackson, Oct 31, 2016.

1. David Jackson

David Jackson Senior Member

Hey hey,

Quick question about getting some blood drawn for tests here:

I'm booked to get some bloodwork done tomorrow morning. This will be the first time I have left the house to get tests done in years (as I have been making some really good improvements, and can now do this!)

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about blood pressure; the last time a nurse came around to my place to get some blood, my body could only manage one vial, while I was laying on the ground :( Even that took ages to fill up. I needed to fill another vial, but my body just couldn't manage it.

That was ages go, and I'm soooo much better now, but I still fear the same thing may happen; my veins just don't stand up anymore. Though my heartbeat is way stronger than it was back then.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Hardly any blood comes out? Anyone know any good life hacks to counteract it?

I'm planning to drink heaps of fluids before I go to try and fill the veins up as much as possible, but any other tips would be very much appreciated.

How was I even alive with so little blood, anyway???

2. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    I think you have it covered by drinking your heaps of fluid. Otherwise I have nothing to add. Congrats on your improvement, it's the little things that make us happy now, yes?

justy and David Jackson like this.
  3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Drinking an electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte or Vitalyte (much less expensive) will also help. Also, be sure you dress warmly. You can call ahead and ask the lab if they have heating pads they can place on your arm.

Things to avoid: having the tourniquet on longer than a minute and/or pumping with your fist. Both of these actions will cause hemoconcentration and affect your lab results.

For more info:
    http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diagnosis/blooddraws.html

I'm a registered medical technologist with over 100,000 blood draws performed.

Cheesus, ryan31337 and David Jackson like this.
  4. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I was told not to drink coffee. It's supposed to be a vasoconstrictor. I'm kind of sceptical about that advice because I've found it depends on the skill of the phlebotomist more than anything. I'm a difficult stick and the hospital phlebotomists--who draw blood all day--do it the best.

5. David Jackson

Thank you @IreneF and @CFS_for_19_years for those good ideas.

@Firefly_ : yes, I like being able to get some things done, and I now notice things like the beauty of the garden and stillness... things I just couldn't appreciate for years.

Still quite a way to go, though.

justy likes this.
  6. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I agree with what IreneF said - a lot depends on the skill of the phlebotomist. A nurse who may only do a few blood draws a day will not usually have the same skill as someone who draws blood all day long in a hospital or clinic.

Valentijn likes this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

There's a crazy good one at KDM's clinic who can feel where the vein is even when it's completely invisible :love:

8. David Jackson

OK, time to go, just about!

Phew, first time leaving the house in a long time...

Time to bleed!

9. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Let It Bleed.

10. David Jackson

Just got back, and my body absolutely smoked it. Had no trouble at all filling up 5 vials. And the nurse that took the blood was expert; she found the vein on the first try, and I didn't even feel it at all when she would change the vials over. So it went as good as it possibly could have. Sure does make me dizzy going in a car, though.

Had an interesting feeling about leaving the house: kinda like embarrassment. A 32 year old guy catching a taxi to the medical center to get bloodtests... shouldn't I have some awesome car, be in great shape and be earning 70-80K by now? Of course, no one apart from me thought anything like this, but my mind was kind of holding me up to these expectations.

Izola, Valentijn, IreneF and 4 others like this.
  11. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Even though you've already had success I'd like to add that I have much less trouble with blood draws when the nurse uses a butterfly needle instead of the usual thick needle directly into the vacutainer.

David Jackson likes this.
  12. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    I know how you feel but you gotta focus on the small victories! Keep it up :)

David Jackson likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.