• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions about Dr Cheney's Klonopin/Tranxene protocol

Information about this protocol seems to be extremely scarce.

My interest is in the 'withdrawal' part with Tranxene/dexepin elixir or otherwise.
Did anyone here actually go through this ?

Thinktank

If that protocol really worked without leaving protracted withdrawal symptoms then everyone would be on it.
I believe the only safe way to get off a benzo is by doing a very slow taper.
I'd take Cheney's words with grain of salt, he was also wrong about clonazepam not being addictive.

adreno

PR activist
I believe there are safer ways of countering excitotoxicity than benzos. In my opinion, benzos should only be taken short term, because they are so addictive. Also, long term benzo use has been shown to be harmful to the brain.

Some things that might be helpful for excitotoxicity are NAC, magnesium threonate, lithium, theanine and taurine.

Last edited:

ahmo

I only used .5mg Klonopin, mostly for sleep. I was fortunate that my body seems to reject all rx drugs after a time, over- burdening my liver and causing histamine issues. I found pituitary glandular an excellent replacement. Also, hypothalamus and adrenal glandulars.

Well, I´m already on 2 mg Klonopin ...

Tapering the drug directly failed in the past and the current situation isn´t any better.

Tranxene or diazepam ?
Diazepam is more common.

Cheney seems to have had many patients, so I wonder how people managed to withdraw from Klonopin.
Or are his former patients sworn to secrecy ?