• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions about Cortef

maddietod

15 years ago Dr. Teitelbaum put me on Cortef, and it worked extremely well. Very low dose, split between am and noon. Despite being told that this dose was negligible and harmless, regular monitoring of liver function was required. That scared me. I weaned myself off it after 2 years, and quickly returned to prior levels of energy.

What does this mean? What does cortef stimulate/support etc? The million dollar question being: what natural substances can I try that might do the same thing?

I have tried American Biologics: "Adrenal Glandular" (tablets) and "Sub-Adrene" (drops) without benefit.

Madie

soxfan

I was on cortef for 5 years and recently weaned off (15mg). My doctor put me on Isocort which I believe is from sheep? I couldn't tolerate it so I quit. It made me very jittery...

alice1

There is a product from Thorne (a good health store would carry it) called Cortrex for adrenals.A naturalpath doc put me on it along with a Multi B5 also from Thorne.In 2 weeks I couldn't believe how good I felt and then I crashed.I'm seeing her again to modify the dosage.
If you get it go slow and build up to 3 times a day if tolerated.
I'll post to let you know what she suggests for dosing.

maddietod

Alice - Thanks for this idea. I'll order some and hopefully hear more from you before I start on it. What dose were you on, and for how long before the crash? Do you know if the B5 was recommended specifically because of the Cortrex? I'm on the methylation protocol, so I'm taking some B5 already.

Marg

Hi Madie,

I have been taking adrenal cortex for about a month. Go to Dr. Murphree's site www.treatingandbeating.com and check it out. I got mine from him because I know he uses the best. He is very good and here in Alabama, a friend goes to him. I almost did but I knew Dr. Klimas would look at the immune system with a fine tooth comb. He also has some videos of himself speaking. His book is one of the best I have read if not the best. You may be able to get a link to his videos on his site I think they are on You Tube as well.

I too was but on cortef by Dr. T. in 97, I could not tolerate it. I am glad I started with 1/4 pill, thought I would fly around the room. I have since read that it is not a good idea because the adrenals will stop making it's own cortisol.

I was so sick and he threw everything at me at one. I know now that it was EVB and HHV6 and he would not test for them. It was 6 months of hell and I gave it up.

I am sure there are other places to get it that are good too, I just trust Dr. Murphree. I love the cover...a woman screaming and her hair all over the place...perfect! lol

I think it has started helping me I am more calm.

maddietod

Marg - Thanks for this! I'll check out the videos in the morning when I'm more alert!

Madie

alice1

Yes I was to take the B5 with the Cortrex.She said I would feel it in 2 weeks and she was on the money.After feeling really good for about 4 days down I went.
I've noticed with different treatments the same thing can happen.I'll feel good for awhile then whatever I'm taking stops working but I'm not giving up on this.We have low adrenals and cortisol.
As I wrote I'll post what she recommends.

Francelle

I have just watched the nine YouTube videos with Dr McMurphree and they were very good. I have downloaded them to watch again! Each one is quite short so they are not too taxing to watch but lots of confirmatory info.

Is anyone here on 5HTP?

maddietod

Thanks for the video link, Marg. I've ordered some of his books to get his dosing information. His adrenal cortex formula has 500mg per capsule, which seems extremely high.
The Thorne formula lists "adrenal" and "adrenal cortex" separately, which probably means the "adrenal" is the kind that stimulates epinephrine. Which could cause crashing. The American Biologics tablets I took also had this mixed adrenal. The American Biologics drops I used were only adrenal cortex, but the dose is 20mg.

Alice, I look forward to hearing what your naturopath says.

Francelle, I took 5HTP years ago with no results, but I'm going to try again. I don't have FM, but I've sure got disturbed sleep.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Is anyone here on 5HTP?

I take 5HTP twice a day. My seratonin was low, all good now. It is so great. My doctors tell me the brands and amount to take. I have a schedule.

I take a small amount of cortisol also. I take many, many good supplements that I need. I take blood tests at least twice a year to keep everything blaanced.

maddietod

I'm rereading this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?10011-Adrenal-Issues-and-treatment-problems which is very long and full of interesting thoughts about supporting adrenal function. I'm looking into IsoCort and Baschetti licorice root extract at the moment. There's also discussion over there about the problem being faulty messages from the hypothalamus. If anybody has opinions about any of this, I'd like to hear them.

alice1

Sorry it's taken so long but I just saw the doc yesterday.I'm taking 2 Thorne Cortrex in the a.m. before breakfast with 1 multi B#5.
Then 1 Cortrex along with 1 multi B#5 at lunch.
She told me because I have such bad allergies that would also affect my adrenals.I'll keep you posted on how I progress.
She also put me on some other supplements that are to help with balancing the Th1 and Th2..If my allergies subside I'll be posting what those are.If I respond even a bit it would be heaven.

maddietod

That's amazing. The order complains that the patient was on low-dose cortisone for "over two years," and Dr. Teitelbaum told me that at this dose I could be on it my whole life with no problem. It doesn't actually say the patient was harmed, though. This seems to be about not meeting proper "standards of care." She was on an amazing array of meds.

Francelle, if you're still following, I have been trying 5HTP recently, and have had excellent results re sleep, but with Jarrow brand only. I need 3 at night for sure, and am experimenting with an additional 1 during the day.

As soon as I'm over this cold, I'm doing the Clymer Center's saliva test, which measures (among other things) cortisol throughout the day. This test does not require a doctor's order (I don't have a doctor) because Dr. Neville at the center orders and interprets it.

Sallysblooms

In that case above, that is a lot of scripts. Taking a correct amount of compounded cortisol has been very helpful for me. That person was on so much stuff, not all supplements at all.

To be fair, it isn't clear that the person was on all those at once, but I've seen a bunch of people from Teitlebaum's clinic on those kinds of lists. There is a list on the Fibro and Fatigue website under the blogger's diary, which include 10 or so supplements and 5 or 6 prescriptions including, antibiotics, corticol, and antifungals, so similar to what that patient was on.

Sallysblooms

I am on many supplements, but not those scripts. Gotta be careful of some of those. I always look up everything that my that my doctors suggest before taking them. What happened to the person, I couldn't see anything.

Is that person an MD?