The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Question re: Quercetin + Vit C from Vitamin Shoppe (US)

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Gingergrrl, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I was wondering if anyone else from PR buys the supplement "Quercetin +Vit C" from the Vitamin Shoppe in the US (either in person or on Amazon)? I'm asking b/c I have taken this product for several years and it is always a capsule with a light yellow powder inside with no odor/smell whatsoever.

But the last bottle I ordered from Amazon was a dark orange color with a strange odor. So I called Vitamin Shoppe customer service who said that the formula had not changed and told me to return it for another bottle. So I sent it back to Amazon for a refund and ordered another bottle which arrived tonight and it is the same! It is still a dark orange capsule powder inside capsule with a distinct odor.

So now I am wondering if they really did change their formula and if so, I am hesitant to take it b/c my worst allergic reaction of my life was to a yellow dye. The bottle says it has no additives besides Quercetin, Vit C and the gelatin capsule with magnesium stearate (the same as before).

I am wondering if I should return it to Vitamin Shoppe in person but this is a huge hassle for me since I do not drive and do not have any free time to do this right now. I've stopped all MCAS supplements months ago and this was the last one I take. I clearly no longer need it, since I've now gone about 2 wks without it with no problem, but I liked Quercetin since it was a natural antihistamine plus it has my daily Vit C. I'd planned to continue taking it but it's now becoming a huge pain in the ass! I don't want to return it a second time but also don't want to try it if is possibly from the same batch as the prior bottle and is spoiled/ defective or worse has a yellow dye.

Does anyone else use this product and notice the difference? Thanks in advance if anyone knows and I get any replies to this long-winded post :D

2. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    @Gingergrrl

You didnt mention the name of the supplement manufacturer, but I know Vitamin Shoppe sell Twin Lab Quercetin +Vitamin C

You might be better contacting TwinLab directly and explaining your problem about a possible allergic response to a change in color of Quercetin.

They probably dont use a color dye as Quercetin has a natural orange pigment and could vary from different batches,however contacting them gives them the chance to confirm (or otherwise), that they dont use a dye in their product.

https://www.twinlab.com/contact-us

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Isaiah 58:11 likes this.
  3. Isaiah 58:11

Isaiah 58:11 Senior Member

A Sun-Scorched Land
    20180131_063819.jpg 20180131_063845.jpg

I am sorry, but I have no answer for your specific supplement. If you can afford to repurchase something, you may want to look at these? Beyond Health, I believe, actually sells a high-quality vitamin C though. Anyway, these work for me and don't contain stearates which my gut doesn't seem to like. The quercetin seems pretty expensive, but it is a big bottle; I have been taking 4 caps per day since before Christmas and haven't come close to running out. Hope this helps! I spent quite a while searching for THE quercetin for me and know how frustrating it is when formulas get messed with.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Sorry for my lack of clarity and the brand/manufacturer that I was talking about is the actual "Vitamin Shoppe" brand (not Twin Lab). Even though it is a pain in the ass, I'm going to VS later today instead of trying to return the product to Amazon a second time.

5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    In case this helps anyone, I ended up going to Vitamin Shoppe in person. The manager was very nice and agreed that the Quercetin had a weird odor and said not to use it (which I hadn't). He opened a new bottle but it was the same so they either changed the formula or there is a bad batch out there (both at VS and being sold on Amazon).

They no longer carry the Twin Lab brand either so I ended up having to buy two different products (vs. the Quercetin + Vit C that I have used since 2015 that I loved b/c both are in one capsule together with no additives). I ended up buying plain Quercetin from Solaray and plain Vit C from Solgar. So far, both are okay for now.

See more popular forum discussions.