Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Question re cortisol test

Discussion in 'Adrenal Dysfunction' started by otterjack, Sep 12, 2016.

1. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    Frustratingly, I wasn't able to talk to the GP today as she rang earlier than stated. And when I rang the surgery was told "they only try once" so now have to wait until the 14th October to talk to someone about my result. So brassed off. Anyway, got the receptionist to at least give me the reference range for the cortisol levels and it is 250-650. I have no idea of the units they're measured in though. I've been trying to find information online but all the ranges seem to be in far smaller ranges, so I guess the unit of measurement is different. I'm going to request a printout of my results too.

CFS_for_19_years likes this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Can you ask to be put on the cancellation list. I have found that helpful and there have been times I actually got an earlier appointment. But many times it can be very short notice.

Good luck!

3. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    Thanks, I have another telephone appointment tomorrow afternoon, albeit with a GP I'm not keen on. Oh well, I'll see how it goes. I'm getting aggravated just thinking about it as she's the type to say "oh well, it's not too bad so we don't need to do anything". Feel another fight coming on :bang-head:

Thanks to all who have replied! :thumbsup:

4. King Elliott

King Elliott

This topic is relevant to me as well because I'm due for a cortisol test but my qualms with it are completely different.

One thing that nobody has ever been able to adequately explain to me is why cortisol rhythm supposedly remains the same even if a person's circadian rhythm is completely screwed up. I would've expected that cortisol would rise in response to waking and not because the clock happens to hit 9am. I wake up at 2pm most days. I'm a bit skeptical of the idea that my cortisol level peaks in the middle of (what is to me, at least) the night. My internal clock believes that early afternoon is morning and, with my blinds shut, there are no external zeitgebers for my body to respond to.

The literature on the subject seems confused as well.

JohnM and barbc56 like this.
  5. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

USA
    There are actually two cortisol peaks. The first one, which is the strongest peak, happens around 8 a.m. and the second one happens 30 minutes after rising (cortisol awakening response). This goes into more detail about assessing the cortisol awakening response:
    http://blog.zrtlab.com/cortisol-awakening-response

Your question seems to be about the 9 am peak. Unless you're a nocturnal species, you're going to have a morning peak. It's hard-wired.
    Relationship of Morning Cortisol to Circadian Phase and Rising Time in Young Adults with Delayed Sleep Times
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2012/749460
    Glucocorticoids and the circadian clock
    http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/content/200/1/3
    The morning peak can be absent due to disease (Addison's disease) or suppressed by not getting enough sleep the night before.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  6. King Elliott

King Elliott

See more popular forum discussions.