• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question on Safety of Folinic Acid

Hello,

First, thank you in advance for helping answer my question. I have been reading a lot lately about the benefits of the active, natural forms of folate and how the synthetic folic acid should not be used.

So, many supplements have Metafolin (Calcium salt) version of Folate and a newer one has the 6(s) isomer version using glycine. Both of these seem good, but I also ready on MTHFR.net that Folinic acid is also important.

However, everything I have read with a few exceptions online indicate that Folinic Acid is a Class C substance, capable of harming the developing baby. Is this true? Here is one of the websites that states this:
http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/leucovorin.html

I recognize that leucovorin is classified as a drug, but as I understand it, it is still folinic acid. I thought folinic acid can be found naturally n fruits and veggies--no? Any idea why the FDA would classify it as Class C? Another site classified Calcium Folinate as Class A, and that would make sense. The site linked to above indicated that no animal studies have been done on Folinic Acid, but the following site indicates that "Class C" means animal studies have been done.
http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy-categories.html

"Category C
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks."

Is Folinic Acid safe for pregnant women? I noticed a lot of prenatal supplements are now offering folinic acid as one of the ingredients, so you would think it to be safe, but then the Class C thing is totally making me nervous.

Thank you so much! Very much appreciated,

Tom