Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Question on research on Adenosine

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by lior, Jul 27, 2017.

1. lior

lior

London
    I saw a video on how caffeine works by chance...

...and then I googled Adenosine.
    https://www.howsleepworks.com/how_homeostasis.html
    Check out the diagram on that page. Think about how your diagram would look.

So, if all this research on sleep exists, is there much about how it manifests with people with ME/CFS? Maybe I have an unnecessary build up of Adenosine, or maybe there's something wrong in my sleep that doesn't make it clear out.

I feel like I have grogginess for hours after I wake up, rather than half an hour. Why does that happen?

Is there research going on about this? Or is sleep research not relevant to ME/CFS?

2. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member

Hi, I also had this thought a few years ago. There is an old, small study that showed Adenosine levels were really high in CFS. I haven't ever seen it picked up again, although it's something I'm sure Ron Davis or the NIH would find if it were in really high levels (maybe it was in the Naviaux study). One problem is Adenosine is in and out of the blood very quick, and it naturally fluctuates a lot so it's not a test you can get once and rely upon. I think it's probably not a problem, caffeine is a great Adenosine receptor antagonist, and it doesn't generally help in CFS.

You might check out the Zinns, two neurologists, from DePaul that study the brain in CFS. They have shown for example, neural oscillations are disrupted in CFS indicating a disrupted circadian rhythm.

I don't know. Sorry. Midodrine did help me with that grogginess.

See more popular forum discussions.