Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Question for former athletes/fitness rats

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Aerose91, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Amaya2014

Amaya2014 Senior Member

Columbus, GA
    I would def be sudden onset. A vaccination, flu- like illness and within space of two months struggling to walk at anything more than a slow pace.

Mij likes this.
  2. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Sounds like you always had a little something something going on. I had an impressive difficulty increasing my endurance as well

luludji likes this.
  3. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

CANADA
    @Amaya2014 Yup! I have two pairs of x-country skis, two pairs of downhill skis, one pair mountaineering skis, a x-country training machine, bike, professional rebounder trampoline and canoe, not to mention the accessories and clothing -- all collecting dust or taking space in my drawers and cupboards. Like you, I haven't been able to get rid of them. The psychological benefit of hanging onto the hope far exceeds the income I might derive from selling them. Regardless, after more than 25 years, no one would want items so far out-of-date. They'll match my "old bones", if I ever get to use them again!

4. Amaya2014

Amaya2014 Senior Member

Columbus, GA
    @Old Bones I'm torn between a desire to laugh and cry at your post. Cheers to you for never losing hope. You never know...people sometimes have an odd desire for the retro:eek::D

KauaiWahine, Mel9 and Old Bones like this.
  5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I never achieved a lot aerobically. Over the years I jogged, swam, aerobic classes, dance...I always felt my threshold was poor, never improved a lot. More endurance dancing than the others. I did combination of strength and aerobic 5x/week.

luludji, justy and Amaya2014 like this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I was a gardener before getting sick and I could easily go at it for 10 to 12 hours a day. Now doing 20 minutes exhausts me. I used to do a lot of digging and couldn't imagine going at it for hours at a time anymore. Five minutes and I'm done.

rosie26, Old Bones, justy and 2 others like this.
  7. Amaya2014

Amaya2014 Senior Member

Columbus, GA
    @TigerLilea sending you hugs. Most people may not consider gardening aerobic but when you consider the bending, lifting, pulling, digging, etc. it can be demanding work. Esp. putting in so much time. Also, it can be remarkably therapeutic.

I've had to give all that over to a lawn care service but at least I get to enjoy blooming season. Have you been able to retain any of it or did you have to let it go? Feel free to message me if you prefer.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    KauaiWahine and rosie26 like this.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

@Amaya2014 I still do a bit of gardening, but nothing like what I was able to do before CFS. I usually crash at some point and then have to take a week or two off. My gardens definitely don't look as nice as they did years ago.

You're right - gardening is definitely a great workout. I'd much rather spend a day in the yard than working out on a treadmill or at the gym. My arms used to be very toned from the digging and hauling big boulders around. I miss being able to work outside all day. Gardening is definitely my passion in life. Unlike a lot of people, I find it very relaxing and a great stress reliever. :)

9. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Sudden onset. Woke up feeling like I had never felt before. (Now its hard to remember what 'before' felt like.)

Three time competitor at world triathlon championships in my age group. Multiple Ironman finisher. Provincial long course champ.

On good days I can walk my dog on flat ground. (Today is not one of those days.)

Hutan, AndyPandy, Aurator and 5 others like this.
  10. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

This bums me out.
    Big ups on your Iron Man's tho

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  11. ahimsa

ahimsa Sick since 1990

Oregon, USA
    I was not fast but I had stamina. I could run a 10K, no problem. I used to do 45 minutes on the Stairmaster, level 8 or 9. I did a 3 hour "aerobathon" for charity. (Heh, there gotta be some folks here who are old enough to remember when aerobics classes were all the rage)

In the summer I used to work a full day and then drive to the Columbia River Gorge for a 6 mile hike (with 1600 foot elevation gain). Enjoyed cross country skiing. And I climbed to the summit of Mount Hood. Twice. No altitude sickness.

So, I had no problem with my aerobic system before I got sick at age 29 (in 1990). I would not have won any races but I had loads of energy and stamina.

Mine was a fairly sudden onset but not a single day. I got a viral infection of some kind (never identified) but I thought I had recovered from it and went back to work. Over 5 or 6 weeks I slowly got worse and worse (dizziness, nausea, short of breath, increased heart rate, etc.) until I had to go out on medical leave.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Justin30, Kati and Amaya2014 like this.
  12. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    I was fit prior to becoming ill. That year I had done a half-marathon and a few short triathlons - the non-competitive kind. I ran regularly, swam, rode horses etc. I caught parvo and never recovered. Gradually deteriorated since then. Now the most I can do is some short bursts of gentle gardening, or slow walking on the flat.

rosie26 and Amaya2014 like this.
  13. powertool4

powertool4

Weight lifting, power lifting, bjj, bouldering, sprints. Hell i was fit in remission last month! weighed the most i ever did, looked fine. crashed and body died in a matter of few weeks.

Amaya2014 likes this.
  14. Skippa

Skippa Senior Member

Cycling, running, walking, weights.

Man, I miss being a kid, skateboarding all over town, climbing trees, swimming in the sea, building jumps for BMX... Psssh.

rosie26, Amaya2014 and justy like this.
  15. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Sounds like we were a good mix of aerobic and anaerobic athletes here. Guess that doesn't give any credence to always having weak mitochindria

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  16. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I don't believe ME/CFS is something we always have had, it's a switch that gets turned on and your life goes from active to inactive.

Its hard to know what percentage of people were athletes of some form or another but there definitely seems to be plenty here on PR who were very active prior to onset.

AndyPandy, Mij, TigerLilea and 3 others like this.
  17. LiveAgain

LiveAgain Senior Member

I've found it interesting (and odd) that many people who develop POTS (and perhaps also have ME) were athletes at the time. There's a doctor in Sweden who has been looking at a possible association between Gardasil vaccination and young women developing POTS. She has observed that many were high level athletes at the time of vaccination and speculates that intense exercise lowers immunity making them more susceptible... to? I'm not sure because she didn't expand on this thought. This NY Times blog article is very interesting about intense exercise lowering immunity. It may have nothing to do with any of this but could it possibly relate?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/phys-ed-does-exercise-boost-immunity/?_r=0

18. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

I've always said that my CFS started in a split-second and it was as if someone had flipped a switch because it was that sudden. I remember thinking at the time 'what the hell just happened?'.

BurnA likes this.
  19. Amaya2014

Amaya2014 Senior Member

Columbus, GA
    @Old Bones since our conversation I've been seeing a commercial for the app Letgo. Their motto is snap, post, chat, let go. Maybe it's a sign. Website says US but looks like its global.

Old Bones likes this.
  20. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

Though I've referred to myself as an "athlete" before, I was actually an amateur competitive cyclist before I fell ill. My workload was typically 10-15 hours a week, including races (usually one or two a week in racing the season).

I had sudden onset over three years ago after contracting a URT, which I never recovered from. The day I fell ill a new bicycle frame I'd ordered arrived. I was intending to build it into my new race bike for the coming season, but it sat in its box for two years until I had to accept that I might never ride it and it was best to sell it before it got too out of date. I made a loss of £700 when I came to sell it even though it was still brand new.

All my other cycling stuff has been moth-balled, including about five sets of wheels, four frames, and countless other components, tools and clothing, about half of it still brand new.

When the BPS school start talking about deconditioning and "fear avoidance" being factors in our illness, I have to question whether any of them have ever had any experience of what it is to be an athlete and have the first idea to what extent sick athletes DON'T fear "exercise", but on the contrary feel utterly bereft that they cannot do the one thing they most want to do. It's like telling a mother who has had her child forcibly taken off her and doesn't know when she'll be allowed to see it again that her anguish is due to her not wanting to see her child.

When lies of this magnitude become entrenched and therefore hard to combat, they can make the afflicted feel very angry indeed.

helen1, KauaiWahine, Hutan and 15 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.