1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

QUESTION: Can Probiotics Cause Detox reaction?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Dreambirdie, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    I had a stomach bug a few days ago, with some severe nausea and lots of bloating and yukky gas. The probiotic I had been taking for the past several years, Jarrowdophilous with FOS, wasn't working very well to nix it, so I bought a stronger probiotic, ULTIMATE FLORA Critical Care.

Since starting taking this, my gut symptoms have cleared up, but I have felt very toxic, like I do when I am dumping heavy metals.

Could the probiotic cause a detox reaction?
    Anybody have experiences with this? Please share if you do. Thanks.

2. uni

uni

Hi,

Yes I've experienced a toxic feeling before when taking this probiotic. It also made me hungrier after taking it. I think the probiotics are mixing with the other (probably bad) bacteria in the small intestine and that sets off an immune reaction that causes us to feel toxic.

3. Lala

Lala Senior Member

EU
    I too had problem with ULTIMATE FLORA Critical Care. I do not know if it is detox, perhaps something wrong with probiotic formula..I am taking formula with higher dose o probiotic now without any problem.

4. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

I don't think it detoxes. But probiotics give info to the immune system, and maybe this one is upregulating your cytokines and making you feel sick.

A good probiotic is culterelle--most studied of all.

Another good one recently in the news is b infantis (natren makes it).

That's about all I use.

The fancy mixes--I don't like them. I just need one or two that will give my dendritic intestinal cells the messages they need. To calm down :)

5. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Thanks everybody, for your input on this. I am DIGESTING it. :D:cool::cool:

See more popular forum discussions.