1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

question about pots..oi

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by hurtingallthetimet, May 15, 2012.

1. hurtingallthetimet

hurtingallthetimet Senior Member

i wasnt sure where to post this but had a question about pots..oi..

i had posted about some problems and someone with pots had said it sounded like i may have pots and should talk to my doctor..

ive tried looking up some info..but im confused and wondered if anyone could answer something for me.

i saw where if you have pots that they prescribe medication to increase sodium retention {thats how i understood it but i could be wrong} and i have to take furosemide and potassuim becuase of fluid retention..
    so is it possible to completey rule out pots? beucase i need a water pill to get rid of retention
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    You could try doing a "poor mans tilt table test" at home as long as you or another can take your heart rate to see if you have POTS or not showing.

POTS is an increase of 30 beats per minute or higher .. laying rate compared to just standing still.. dont even wiggle the toes .. after taking it while laying, immediately take it several times while standing up to 10-12mins to see if there is a 30 heart rate increase from the laying one.

Just have someone there with you at the time in case you faint. Try this poor mans test on several different days and then you should have a good idea if you have it or not.
  3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Also, do it at different times and different days if the first test is negative, also not close to a big meal. Example I am more POTsy in the mornings, HR goes up 30bpm just by getting out of bed.
  4. hurtingallthetimet

hurtingallthetimet Senior Member

thanks for the info, i didnt mean to post this twice, i just saw that, i appoligize for that.

See more popular forum discussions.