• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

question about pots..oi

hurtingallthetimet

i wasnt sure where to post this but had a question about pots..oi..

i had posted about some problems and someone with pots had said it sounded like i may have pots and should talk to my doctor..

ive tried looking up some info..but im confused and wondered if anyone could answer something for me.

i saw where if you have pots that they prescribe medication to increase sodium retention {thats how i understood it but i could be wrong} and i have to take furosemide and potassuim becuase of fluid retention..
so is it possible to completey rule out pots? beucase i need a water pill to get rid of retention

taniaaust1

so is it possible to completey rule out pots?

You could try doing a "poor mans tilt table test" at home as long as you or another can take your heart rate to see if you have POTS or not showing.

POTS is an increase of 30 beats per minute or higher .. laying rate compared to just standing still.. dont even wiggle the toes .. after taking it while laying, immediately take it several times while standing up to 10-12mins to see if there is a 30 heart rate increase from the laying one.

Just have someone there with you at the time in case you faint. Try this poor mans test on several different days and then you should have a good idea if you have it or not.

Seven7

Seven
Also, do it at different times and different days if the first test is negative, also not close to a big meal. Example I am more POTsy in the mornings, HR goes up 30bpm just by getting out of bed.