• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about PET/SPECT

Hi, has anyone of you done a PET and/or a SPECT scan? If so, what were the results? And how did you manage to get such a test prescribed?
There is someone that has cognitive dysfunction such as slow thinking, inability to formulate articulate toughts, difficult understanding things, decrease in IQ etc (mind, I mean a decrease in intellectual abilities compared to your pre -illness self, not simply brain fog)...but at the same time had not any problems (such as hypoperfusion) visibile on a PET/SPECT scan?
Also, do someone know if hypoperfusion necessarely means that there is brain damage, or can it also mean that there is simply not enough blood flow to make the brain function well but without actualli damaging it?

Dechi

Hi, I've had a SPECt scan done with Dr Hyde, on an HMPAO compatible machine. It showed moderate to severe hypoperfusion to many areas of the brain. Dr Hyde works with Dr Sonia Neubauer, in Chili, who analyses the scan and does a " brain mapping ". Then Dr Hyde analyses it and writes a full report.

Dr Hyde usually has another SPECT scan done two years after the first one, and sometimes there is various degrees of improvement, so yes, it seems to be reversible.

Last edited: