Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Question about Nystatin- please help! :)

Discussion in 'Fungal Infection (Yeast, Candida)' started by JasonDED61, Jul 23, 2017.

1. JasonDED61

JasonDED61

i took a tiny tiny quantity of nystatin last week. Like 10mg. not much. afterwards i felt loopy, tired and had indigestion. 48 hrs later i had a bowel movement and when i wiped there was a lot of mucus. now several days later i am still passing hard stools ever since i took the nystatin. does this sound like a normal reaction to nystatin? i havent taken it since and am not sure if i should continue - thanks so much

Luther Blissett likes this.
  2. JasonDED61

JasonDED61

come on folks- 50 views and no one has any feedback? :)

3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    My experience of Nystatin was that it made me feel poisoned, very weak and much worse overall. Persevered off and on for around 6 months.

I didn't notice any differences to my BM's or any mucus.

None of my gut or ME symptoms improved.

The drug Ketaconazole was very different for me. I had no side effects and it did have a good effect on fungal infections I had been getting.

Maybe try something else if you are fighting a genuine infection. I don't know your background. My experience was that taking any anti-fungal drug (or diet, or supplement for candidia) had no effect on my ME symptoms.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  4. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    A helpful website that collects side effects and other drug related problems is Rxisk.org

If you search for nystatin here https://rxisk.org/drug-search/ you can choose which type you took and it will give you a list of reported side effects, most reported at the top of the list.

You can also fill in a form (10 minutes) https://rxisk.org/experiencing-a-drug-side-effect/ that will give you a report indicating how likely a side effect was linked to a drug, you can also use this report for your doctor if you find it useful.

For your continuing hard stools, Soluble fibre might help you, a useful list of foods and why soluble fibre is good for your bowel, http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp

5. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    I was on nystatin for about 3 months. It made me feel terrible at first and my gut got worse at first. I had to go slow and build up the dose but I felt a lot better after the three months. Pain was better and energy was better. I still have ME and still am ill but it helped for a while.

6. JasonDED61

JasonDED61

problem is the people who had side effects were taking a handful of other drugs so its hard to pinpoint what nystatin did specifically

7. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    Hi @JasonDED61

you may find this useful: http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Nystatin_-_how_to_take_it

I have been taking if for a while. When I first took it it made a dramatic difference to my stools in the first 2 wks. The went from containing a lot of undigested food to containing very little visiable undigested food and being homogenous. They went from being quite well fermented stools or slurries to sinking and sitting on the bottom of the toilet bowl with no real sign of fermentation.

I also put on a bout 6kg in 3 days. I expect that some of this was stool weight as most of my movements were bristol 7s before I started on the nystatin and almost all were 3-5 on the nystatin. I expect that the rest was inflamation weight presumably a reaction to all the toxins etc being released by the fungi.

I am not following myhill's protocol I cannot afford. I did a course of nystatin, followed by a course of fluriconazole, and followed by more nystatin. I am planing to continue taking 4 capsules a day for about 6 months in the hope that this will kill off all of the spores.

See more popular forum discussions.