• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about Dr Chia's stomach biopsies

Persimmon

Does Dr Chia suggest/request that all of his ME/CFS patients have a stomach biopsy?

Obviously he's had lots of patients get biopsies done. However, in another PR thread 'Andrew' indicated that Dr Chia has treated him without having a biopsy done.

I ask because I'm going to travel to LA to see Dr Chia, and want to know what to expect and what to allow for (ie do I allow extra time in LA to have it done while I'm there?) His receptionist was otherwise extremely helpful (really super), but said that I'll have to wait to hear directly from Dr Chia whether he wants a stomach biopsy.

Thanks

CBS

Dr. Chia analyzes tissue samples but he doesn't collect them. You'll need to have a gastroenterologist collect the sample via an EGD.

EV Med Diagnostics web-page: http://evmedresearch.com/diagnostics/enterovirusstain.php

Tissue sample submission form: http://evmedresearch.com/Immunoperoxidase_Staining_Request_Form250.pdf

A biopsy/tissue analysis may not be needed. I had one done (actually at another research facility for a lot more money) and it helped convince my PCP and gastroenterologist that I had an active enterovirus infection and it made the decision to try Equlibrant a lot more clear cut. Equilibrant has been very effective in eliminating GI (and other) Sx's associated with enteroviruses.

RestingInHim

Realist
He didn't have me do a stomach biopsy because my blood tested positive for enteroviruses and the biopsy wouldn't effect his treatment. He is reluctant to cause his patients to spend time, energy, and money on unnecessary tests and treatments.

Ayaju

Dr. Chia told me that getting a stomach biopsy would do two things on my behalf: It would detect more enteroviruses than the blood work, but mostly, it would get me on the "list" as having CFS officially so that if a drug is ever created/approved by the FDA to treat CFS, the CDC would recognize me as being eligible for treatment.

Did anyone else get that information from Dr. Chia?

Judy ...who is still debating whether or not to try Equilibrant

I travelled to see him and he wanted me to do a stomach biopsy - he does not ask this of all patients though. I think he had me do it because my blood work detected high levels of enterovirus, but not high enough to convince him that it was had issue for me. So I had the biopsy done back home with a GI doctor and had the lab send him the samples. The most difficult part for me was finding a GI doc that understands and is willing to do this biopsy. If you have a good GP, that can be helpful in helping you to find a GI doc willing to do this.

Gypsy

Does Dr Chia recommend Equilibriant to most of his patients with enterovirus? I was positive for Coxsackie B4 through blood test years ago. Long history of GI symptoms. Debating whether or not to try Equilibriant due to some peoples side effects.

Thanks.

Ayaju

He does, unless patients have autoimmune diseases; depending on the severity. I'm still debating too. First I'm going to tackle the candida using Threelac or Symbion. GI problems are a symptom of candida.

Gypsy

Thanks Ayaju

I already tackled candida early on in my treatments. I was diflucan and nystatin for quite a long time, and did all the probiotics. Probiotics make me worse. Taken every one ever sold practically. That can indicate SIBO.

GI problems can be a symptom of so many things, including SIBO and food allergies. I am interested that it had been said that some who are treated for SIBO do not get fully well because of underlying enteroviral infections.

I do not understand why new anti herpes drugs keep getting developed, but nothing at all for enteroviruses?

globalpilot

Do you remember where you heard this Gypsy ?
"I am interested that it had been said that some who are treated for SIBO do not get fully well because of underlying enteroviral infections"
I have been thinking I can't get rid of my upper gut symptoms because of enteorvirus which I do have - I had the biopsy analyzed by Dr Chia and it showed extensive staining.
I don't know however if it's fungi or bacteria causing my upper GI symptoms.
My doctor is going to have me do a trial of prescription antifungals including a nasal spray to reach anything in the nasal/sinus area.
I'm hoping that this will help but if it doesn't that it means the problem is bacterial in nature.
I may have to resort to an aspirate.
GP

Gypsy

Does anyone have a coupon code for Equilibrant? I went to the website and there is a box for a coupon code. Just thought I'd ask. Anything to save a few bucks helps!!

globalpilot

No, I'm sorry! I just read it somewhere this week, but I apparently did not bookmark the site. If I find it I will post the link.