Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Quercetin

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by AimingHigh, Aug 27, 2014.

1. AimingHigh

AimingHigh

I have read good things about quercetin from antimicrobial benefits to potential dopamine enhancement. However, I just came across (as reported by @ahmo) that it is a high thiol / sulfur substance. Due to CBS upgregulation and BHMT defects, I am to be very strictly avoiding thiols during my heavy metals chelation period (which is now). Can anyone confirm this, and/or let me know where I might find more information on thiol substances. I am well aware of the lists on the internet (particularly the livingnetwork source), but t doesn't seem very comprehensive. Thanks for any help!!

Ryan

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Ryan, I use the livingnetwork list, don't know of others.

When I switched from quercetin, I began using ornithine. then discovered arginine, citrulline, also lysine. there are interlinking relationships between these, which I'm not clear on, but linking some info here. I take all my supps by self-testing, have been doing so effectively for these past years. I now need less of these supps since I've been detoxxing. Now I tend to need 1/8 tsp citrulline, 1/4 tsp arginine, 1/2 tsp ornithine, lysine. I don't test + for all of these all the time.

However, in a recent thread, first link below, @aaron_c suggested malic acid. I was very curious, and last night was my first trial. When I used 3 caps Natures' Life 800mg malic acid only last night, instead of any combo of the others mentioned above, my body seems very happy. I'll soon be taking my second dose, this AM.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/#post-496986

http://www.vitaminstuff.com/amino-acid-ornithine.html also arginine, lysine

http://healthyawareness.com/thread-more-about-amino-acids scroll down for info re Citrulline and Arginine

3. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

@AimingHigh

Hi Ryan,

I have to admit I am a little fuzzy on the sulfur - chelation link.

Andy Cutler has the most thorough workup on sulfur containing foods/supplements I have seen. Here is a website with a lot of good stuff, including high sulfur foods and supplements and (if you look at the menu above) a list of low sulfur foods. Although I think for those of us with ME and the CBS C699T mutation, his assertion that sulfur via protein (methionine and cysteine) doesn't effect us much might not hold much water.

I am pretty excited about a cheaper way to deal with ammonia for people with ME, however I want to point out that although the CBS C699T mutation will increase both ammonia and sulfites, they require entirely separate treatments. I have had a great deal of success in taking relatively large amounts of molybdenum (1500 - 2000 mcg) per day to help with sulfites. Molybdenum is the cofactor used by sulfite oxidase (SUOX) to convert toxic sulfites into sulfates, which your body can use. To be honest, I can't find the thread where I saw people doing those doses... And be warned that it can make you tired at first, but that goes away over the course of a week or two.

For what it's worth, I can use quercetin but I can't seem to use chondriotin sulfate. Perhaps it is less sulfuric than some things?

I hope this helps, and best of luck with the chelation in any case.

Warmly,

Aaron C

See more popular forum discussions.