1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

quercetin is a 'bioenhancer'

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Sherlock, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    While looking for evidence as to whether the noted absorption-enhancer piperine would also enhance the absorption of quercetin, I found this paper which says that quercetin is itself a 'bioenhancer'. That's surprising because of how quercetin is said to be difficult to absorb - though maybe if quercetin is difficult to absorb then it stays in the gut and influences the absorption of other molecules.

http://www.ijabmr.org/article.asp?i...me=1;issue=1;spage=5;epage=10;aulast=Randhawa
    Year : 2011
    Bioenhancers from mother nature and their applicability in modern medicine

[piperine is in black pepper and even more-so in white pepper]

Also from that paper and of possible interest in POTS:
    but an association with the much more commonly used atenolol doesn't seem to show up.
    carolwxyz99 and xrayspex like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    They start by saying
    Rather than increasing absorption, it may be decreasing breakdown in the liver. Either way I suppose it would be a bioenhancer.
    jeffrez likes this.
  3. carolwxyz99

carolwxyz99 Senior Member

I take quercetin as a breast cancer prevention. I was advised by a nutrtional doctor to take it with bromelain before meals. I have also heard that vit C can help absorbtion of quercetin.

Interestingly I took tamoxifen for a while and hadn't realised that quercetin has an effect on tamoxifen bioavailability.
    Sherlock likes this.
  4. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    The first bottle I'd bought (Natrol brand) has vit C in it. I'm thinking to take my next bottle (Solaray, not with vt C) with something that naturally contains quercetin - like onions or citrus or tea. Maybe those things have substances that will help with absorbing the quercetin. However, I have the experience of taking 500 mg and seeing that my niacin flush was almost completely abolished - which seems to say that I am absorbing the quercetin. (I assume that Theoharides has worked out that quercetin is not blocking niacin absorption.)

Carol, do you have leaky gut and do you find that maybe bromelain makes that worse?
  5. carolwxyz99

carolwxyz99 Senior Member

I have always had gut problems and have not associated the bromelain with leaky gut. But it may be worth me stopping it for a bit and restarting to see if I notice anything. I hadn't heard of bromelain causing leaky gut with quercetin before reading your posts, but I didn't really look hard.
  6. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    I think what Little Bluestem said is accurate. Quercetin enhances bioavailability of certain substances by inhibiting the enzymes that break them down. That possibly could be dangerous in some situations, so be careful of what meds you're taking with it. :=)

See more popular forum discussions.