1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Quantitative Assays for Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Bob, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Quantitative Assays for Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus

Sato E, Yoshikawa R, Miyazawa T.

Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Department of Cell Biology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University.

J Vet Med Sci

2011 Sep 30

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21959892

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    What is going here Bob for non scientists - XMRV in one moment and out the next - also confusingly referred to as part of the family of HGRVs. Is this as important as it looks ? (interesting connection with PC of which my old Dad with no other family member passed away).
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I don't understand this abstract either Enid.
    I've only read the abstract, and it looks like they are working on a sensitive XMRV assay.
    But I don't understand why kidney cells or feline cells are involved.
    When the full paper is available, then it might make more sense!
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Bob - just have wait and see the import of this.
  5. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

It looks like the paper will be published in the Journal of Veterinary Medicine Science / The Japanese Society of Veterinary Science... hopefully it will make more sense later.
  6. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Didn't Sato also do one of the negative XMRV/CFS studies? I wonder if they've tried this new testing method on humans yet?
  8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    T Miyazawa was co-author of this poster at a conference a while back.

5/300(1.7%) of healthy Japanese blood donors positive for antibodies to
    XMRV 'The Prevalence of Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-related Virus in Healthy Blood Donors in Japan'.

Furuta RA, Miyazawa T, Sugiyama T, Kimura T, Hirayama F, et al.

Cold Spring Harbor Retrovirus Symposium 2009
  9. Lee

Lee

They have created a tool. They have developed assays that can be used to detect virus if it exists.

They have not detected virus in humans.

They say this assay "will be useful for monitoring infectious XMRVs in CFS and PC patients and virological studies for XMRV." That is only true if there are "infectious XMRVs" to detect.

See more popular forum discussions.