• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quality Conundrum: Complications Boost Hospital Profits

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
When a hospital error causes a patient to have to stay longer and need additional services, the hospital makes more money.

"We have never seen hospitals that are actively trying to cause complications to make a profit," Gawande told Shots. "But we've seen a lot of hospitals where you say, "Why aren't you investing in reducing risk, the way other industries do?' "

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...onundrum-complications-boost-hospital-profits

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
When a hospital error causes a patient to have to stay longer and need additional services, the hospital makes more money.

"We have never seen hospitals that are actively trying to cause complications to make a profit," Gawande told Shots. "But we've seen a lot of hospitals where you say, "Why aren't you investing in reducing risk, the way other industries do?' "

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...onundrum-complications-boost-hospital-profits

Of course the reverse is true - or should be true - in countries where healthcare is paid for from taxation, although successive governments in the UK have continued to promote short-term practices such as fast throughput, leading to more complications, more readmissions and consequently more cost.

We seem to have records of hospital complications and errors as bad as the US, and other countries don't seem to fare much better.

I think there is something seriously wrong with societies' whole approach to health and healthcare.