Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

QMUL response to PACE trial FoI judgement

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by charles shepherd, Aug 21, 2016.

1. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

QMUL statement of PACE trial FOI judgement:

This has been a complex case and the Tribunal’s decision is lengthy. We are studying the decision carefully and considering our response, taking into account the interests of trial participants and the research community..........

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/items/smd/179331.html

Hip and taniaaust1 like this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    They have no intention of releasing the PACE trial data even with this judgement against them. :(

Daisymay and justy like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I wonder what sanctions can be made against them if they fail to comply with the Tribunal finding, or play a game of delaying release?

4. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

What happens if the appeal? Will the same tribunal look at the case again, or will the case "move up" in the system? Best regards from a Norwegian that have no idea how this works.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

From https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-freedom-of-information/complaints/

6. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

They would need a good reason to be able to appeal, this would need to show that a law wasn't properly applied to the latest judgement. There are higher levels of tribunal, although what that practically means I have no idea tbh.

Woolie, Valentijn, taniaaust1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Kati

Kati Patient in training

This is not a time to consider a response, This is when you abide by the jury decision, or appeal the appeal, or are in contempt of the law. We do not need further reasons as of why the PACE trial data must not be released. We do not need to hear further that patients are vexatious or the possibility that patients got frustrated by the tremendous injustice.

Give us the data. Speak the language of science and face the judgement of the scientists not just the ones you hand pick, when you share your data. It should not be difficult if you stand by your science.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Woolie, Dolphin, deleder2k and 18 others like this.
  8. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

The second paragraph of the statement appears a little disingenuous. Is the "and" to be construed conjunctively or disjunctively?

As the data has already been shared with other "cherry picked" researchers, did those researchers satisfy both parts of these self imposed conditions or only the second? Does anyone know what the extent of the express or implied consent is to the sharing of the data?

This seems very odd wording in circumstances where they have had advice from a QC. They have only three options; appeal, comply, or be in breach.

They must know something we don't. One wonders what Damian Green's officials are up to this holiday.

BruceInOz likes this.
  9. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

It is not complex at all! They must release the data, so simple.

Woolie and Daisymay like this.
  10. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    umm "considering an response" to all this. I have to wonder if they are considering making a few alterations here or there before complying. I think these ones thought they were invincible to people studying their misleading research. I think they thought this would all just go away for them sooner or later.

They could of even have believed they were on paths to knighthood.

11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

12. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I must admit that, with my limited intellectual resources, I am unable to comprehend why a further appeal would be considered preferable to straightforward compliance with the order, or a breach which would allow for the immediate commencement of enforcement proceedings.

I was not aware that this was a form of performance art.

Woolie, dancer, Daisymay and 5 others like this.
  13. Wildcat

Wildcat

It was not James Coyne who made the FOI which proved successful. And James Coyne is not an ME patient who is directly affected by the continuing presence of CBT/GET in treatment guidelines (the NICE Guidelines for example).

Delaying the release of the PACE data via an Upper Tribunal Appeal is not what the majority of actual ME patients want.

Cowboy antics are not helpful at this point.

14. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Poor dears.

I suspect it has been a very complex and difficult mess for them. Perhaps they are too shy to ask for some proper academic support? There is a good community college not 20 minutes away from me - perhaps I should solicit their assistance on behalf of QMUL?

Esther12 likes this.
  15. Jill

Jill Senior Member

Auckland, NZ
    I wonder if they might release the data and say that as science has moved on that its not their fault that the criteria used has changed over the time frame . Ie try to put themselves in some sort of goodl light that the science media can spin well fit them . My true thoughts are that they'll just delay, delay delay . Just like all nasty divorce cases

16. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    I think it is actually a simple case.

Is the requested data PII (as in personally identifiable info) and the court ruled that it wasn't and this was despite QMUL having an 'expert' witness in this area so he failed to make a strong argument that the data could be used to trace patients.

The concerns of patients and independent academics demonstrated there was a public interest and given that QMUL failed to demonstrate that the purpose was vexatious or aimed at doing them harm.

Seems simple to me.

Woolie, Esther12, snowathlete and 6 others like this.
  17. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester BRING BACK KINA

Well, honestly! What macho posturing nonsense. Bringing PACE down as swiftly as possible is vital for the future of health care for millions of pwME not to forget children with ME!
    This is not about your ego James, this is about people's lives.

18. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    He really needs to learn how to channel his anger constructively. I thought he was having a go at PlosOne, where so far he has achieved bugger all. On past form it's probably best if he keeps his nose out of everything else.

19. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Coyne is being sarcastic, and reminding the PACE authors that an attempt to appeal at the Upper Tribunal would only result in their humiliation.

PS: and yes he only played a small part in the case, being just one of the academics who sided with patients, but he has promised to re-analyze Chalder's mediation analysis which allegedly proved that a change in fearful beliefs improved physical functioning.

20. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

No, without the Oxford criteria, they don't have careers. With Oxford, starting 25 years ago, they were able to prop up their ridiculous claims by heavily populating their studies with people who had mood disorders but were physically healthy.

This can be seen in some early studies where half or more participants were concurrently being treated for psychological problems, and VO2 max scores were pretty normal at the start of CBT/GET trials. Of course, they've shifted away from objective outcomes since then :rolleyes:

halcyon, Snow Leopard, Jill and 7 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.