1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Qi Gong/Chi Kung thread?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Quirky, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Mr. Cat

Mr. Cat Senior Member

Nothern California
    Hello Chi Gong thread,

So just for an update, I experimented with the Zhan Zhuang standing chi gong a couple more times, and my experience was that though it gave me immediate energy, it led to me crashing/heating up in the long run. My acupuncturist suggested that if I work with chi gong, to do something with flowing movements, rather than standing in one place and letting the energy build. I have no doubt that the Zhan Zhuang would be very helpful for someone with a stronger constitution, just not the right thing for me right now.

So...I have begun working with chi gong again, and thought I'd share what I've found.

I did day 3 of the following free program from Spring Forest chi gong this morning. They felt amazing, and I have been energized since:

http://www.springforesthealingfest2013event.com/?aff=4653

I wrote down the exercises, and think I will do them on my own. They are meant to be done standing, for 30 minutes, but I did some sitting and some standing, for much less than that time, and still got a lot of benefit.

Be aware that each video is only up for 48 hours, and you've only got about 16 hours from the time of this posting left to watch this video, but there are more in the series, and if you sign up for their mailing list, they offer these free "Healing Fests" several times a year, through which you can access free videos on chi gong.

Also, I have been experimenting with the following seated chi gong practice, which takes 10-15 minutes to do in the morning:

It is the best seated chi gong program I have come across - very gentle, and more the style of someone with CFS.
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    If one has bad energy blockages as those with chronic illnesses often tend to do.. bringing more energy into the body can end up worsening the blocks, that can one more tiredness (as the energy then due to lack of flow like stagnants in the body, energy needs to flow to be healthy) and also may give one pain.

I did chi gong and Tai Chi for 2-3 years before I got ME and found once I got the ME these things then actually had a negative impact on me due to what I said above.. I developed a big painful knot in my back (which then stayed for 2? years) during a Chi gong and Tai Chi session.

I did have one healing with a well known Chi Gong/Tai Chi Grand Master who is quite powerful with energy and what he can do but found that one healing session no benefit for me at all (not even immedately afterwards.. I dont know if that is cause I can feel energy myself and are constantly working on my own energy anyway so maybe there wasnt much more he could do??). He did thou pick up something which I dont feel energy in this way ..but he said, I have far too much 'wind" energy and hence he tried to balance that.

I also had a powerful yogi teacher who was a grandmaster too (he did other powerful energy techniques, Ive seen him fix someone who had severe neurological issues etc) unfortunately thou i follow his techniques, I havent been able to fix my ME (thou I can feel a lot of contaminated energy in my body which I constantly work on to clear.. fortunately I have managed to clear over the years all the energy blocks I had).

Those who have ME who Ive energetically scanned.. one thing which stood out of me is all the congested, dirty energy we have around our spleens.

*Note to anyone who has no choice but to work with energy while seated.. Make sure your back isnt against the back of your chair (sit forward a bit.. do not slouch) or otherwise that will be interfering with the energy flow.
    Quirky likes this.
  3. Quirky

Quirky

4. akrasia

akrasia Senior Member

Some gentle but effective qigong practices are a selection of the postings by Nianzuli on Youtube. He is a TCM practitioner/martial arts teacher located in the Washington DC area. The ones I have been exploring are the Breathing Power series, where he is clad in the royal blue qi tee shirt.

He has several videos posted and it can get a bit confusing, but starting from Breathing Power Standing way 1, BP 2 Swing,BP3, Circle, and BP4 Qi Ball, you can get a good impression if these are right for you.

There's also a sequence called Energy Spring Qigong which I've only very briefly grazed on, but worth a look.

Also, I've been finding his video called Rocking Exercise very helpful.
    Quirky and Mr. Cat like this.
  5. Mr. Cat

Mr. Cat Senior Member

Nothern California
    Hi Quirky,

My health is actually pretty good now, at least for someone with CFS. Right now, symptoms are general low energy, PME if I overexert, and pain/energy blockage in my upper spine sometimes linked to mild brain fogginess: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/spinal-energy-blockages.23724/
    I am only exploring chi gong again because my energy has improved to the point where it feels like I could handle some gentle chi gong, like the sitting chi gong practice, and also because I am hoping it can address some of the pain/blockages in my upper back. I have recently been doing very gentle, sitting yoga, which has been helpful in getting things flowing again. In the past, even this gentle yoga stretching would be bad for me, so I am hopeful this is a sign that my body can handle more. The standing Spring Forest chi gong seemed a little daunting due to the fact that it is done standing, but I felt amazing effects from it, so I may do a short version.

I will probably edit my earlier post to take out the Spring Forest link after it expires, just so it isn't confusing to folks.
    Quirky likes this.
  6. Quirky

Quirky

Thanks Akrasia, I will check it out.
  7. Quirky

Quirky

Good to hear there is improvement, and hope it continues for you.

No worries about the link, brain fog and confusion, here..

Keep us posted with Qi Gong. :)
  8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Years ago, I took a Tai Chi class at a local hospital. It was organized by the cancer patient support group, but open to anyone. The teacher was very good about helping students adapt the movements to their capabilities. For those who are able to get out of the house and remain standing/moving for at least short times, you might find something similar at a local hospital.

See more popular forum discussions.