• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pyruvate dehydrogenase function depends on thiamine (B1)

picante

That must be it!!!!
So happy to feel plaques diminishing, decreasing phosphorylation of tau and reversal of memory deficits.:balloons::balloons::balloons:
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) and Dementia
My father is in relatively stable condition, despite having Alzheimer's. I got him started on Benfotiamine and Niacinamide a year or two ago.

That was how I found out that if you're in an assisted living, they must have a doctor's order to give you any vitamins or supplements of any kind. And they need a doctor's order to stop them, too! I don't know if that applies to people who don't have dementia.

Sidereal

Been doing 300 mg/day of benfotiamine for the last 5 days. No improvement in physical energy at this dose but my cognitive stamina seems improved. I've been able to read and absorb more technical information this week than I have in the previous six or seven years combined.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
About Thiamine treatment for Alzheimer's Disease:

Research has shown that in Alzheimer's Disease, magnesium is generally deficient - no surprise since most Americans consume less magnesium than recommended. However the magnesium deficit is particularly critical in Alzheimer's Disease because the thiamine dependent enzymes also require magnesium to function - meaning to utilize the thiamine, you must have magnesium.

Thiamine is required to prevent delirium and dementia, but magnesium is what allows thiamine to be used in the brain and body. Thus supplementation of both magnesium and thiamine may be required for improvement in Alzheimer's.

The most important laboratory study for Thiamine Deficiency is measurement of the activity of the enzyme transketolase.

Magnesium research has become quite extensive. Databases of human enzymes currently list over 600 enzymes for which (Magnesium) Mg2+ serves as cofactor, and an additional 200 in which Mg2+ may act as activator (32, 73)

Mg values are found to be significantly decreased in brain regions of diseased patients compared to the controls.

Magnes Res. 2000 Sep;13(3):189-96.
Disturbances of magnesium concentrations in various brain areas in Alzheimer'sdisease.
Andrási E1, Igaz S, Molnár Z, Makó S.
Magnes Res. 2000 Sep;13(3):189-96.
PMID: 11008926

Gerontology 2007;53:419–422
(DOI:10.1159/000110873)
Serum Magnesium Level and Clinical Deterioration in Alzheimer’s Disease
Çilliler A.E. · Öztürk Ş. · Özbakır Ş. 1st Department of Neurology, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1974 Aug;37(8):959-62.

Magnesium deficiency: a possible cause of thiamine refractoriness in Wernicke-Korsakoff encephalopathy.
Traviesa DC.
Abstract
The determination of blood transketolase before and serially after thiamine administration, and the response of clinical symptomatology after thiamine are reported in two normomagnesaemic patients and one hypomagnesaemic patient with acute Wernicke-Korsakoff encephalopathy.

The response of the depressed blood transketolase and the clinical symptoms was retarded in the hypomagnesaemic patient. Correction of hypomagnesaemia was accompanied by the recovery of blood transketolase activity and total clearing of the ophthalmoplegia in this patient, suggesting that hypomagnesaemia may be a cause of the occasional thiamine refractoriness of these patients.

PMID: 4420329
PCID: PMC494812
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article

Physiological Reviews Published 1 January 2015 Vol. 95 no. 1, 1-46 DOI: 10.1152/physrev.00012.2014
http://physrev.physiology.org/content/95/1/1
IV. MAGNESIUM IN PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOPHYSIOLOGY
The human body contains ∼24g Mg2+, of which 99% is stored in bone, muscle, and other soft tissues. Mg2+ is critical to the function of basically every organ in the human body. Moreover, Mg2+ deficiency is associated with a wide range of diseases, and as a result Mg2+ supplementation is considered as potential treatment in many of them (Table 2).

Nutrients 2015, 7(9), 8199-8226; doi:10.3390/nu7095388
Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy
Uwe Gröber 1,* , Joachim Schmidt 1 and Klaus Kisters 1,2
Academy of Micronutrient Medicine, Essen 45130, Germany
Department of Internal Medicine I, St. Anna-Hospital, Herne 44649, Germany
Published: 23 September 2015 View Full-Text
7.6. Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is the most widespread reason for dementia. AD is characterized by profound synapse loss and impairments of learning and memory. Recent studies have demonstrated that the brain, serum and ionized magnesium levels are decreased in AD patients; however, the exact role of magnesium in AD pathogenesis remains unclear. In mice a chronic reduction in dietary magnesium impairs memory [131], and the treatment of dementia patients with nutritional magnesium improves memory [132,133].

@picante In the U.S., as soon as a senior facility assumes responsibility for dispensing pills they require a doctor's prescription for guidance concerning the administration, thus the facility is relieved of the legal liability - and they are not eager to open themselves to lawsuit. Employees can be fired for inappropriate pill control.
In independent living the senior and/or his family controls and dispenses the pills.

@Jimbo39 You may find this post of interest.

Last edited:

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
The pyruvate dehydrogenase complex as a therapeutic target for age-related diseases...
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-9726.2012.00805.x/full Apr 4, 2012 ... PDPs are positively regulated by insulin or magnesium ions and PDP1 can be ..... Metabolic remodeling in Alzheimer's disease (AD) neurons. ... Induced loss-of- function mutations of complex I cause lactic acidosis, oxidative .

"The PDC is central to mitochondrial fuel metabolism and, thus, to organismal health and survival. Deficiency of the complex, either through normal aging or by the imposition of congenital or acquired diseases, displays a strikingly similar pathology and affords stature to the PDC and its regulatory kinases as potential therapeutic targets for multiple rare and common disorders. Such age-associated conditions as sarcopenia, glucose intolerance, neurodegenerative diseases, and cancer represent fertile areas for continued research into the pathophysiological significance of how this fascinating macromolecular complex is perturbed and how it can be therapeutically manipulated."

Asklipia

There was expectoration (even in green color :depressed: ) and I felt very weak.
Same for me, except for the feeling weak. The reason I asked is that for me expectoration means the body wants to get rid of something, there is an immune reaction to something there.
At the moment this has nearly disappeared, about 10% left.

knackers323

im having good early success with high dose B1. after day 1 thought i was on to a possible cure/remission.

you dont realise just how bad youve gotten used to feeling until you come out the other side. everything was so easy rather than a huge effort. its unbeleivable.

everyone should try big doses. with due caution of course.

it seems to help people with fatigue in general but also see that it is involved with pyruvate and is one of the main things given to those with mitochondrial disease

wonder if there is more to this

Asklipia

So far so good. I feel perfectly normal now, apart from the fact I caught the flu last week for the first time in years. Immunity perking up most probably. All around me have got the flu but I am so happy being sick and pampered! They look miserable but I am not!
Nothing special to report, lots of guests meaning my ajna chakra is healthier and creating vigorously my own world around me.
I need more music, the sounds are vibrating inside me.
I am deeply and completely happy.

I somehow feel that this thiamine supplementation is doing something to the Vitamin D status. Next month I shall test my levels and report.
Be well!
:hug:

mariovitali

@Asklipia

Good to go!! read my reaction having the flu..

For the past 2 days i am feeling really bad because of a nasty flu (influenza) i got. I have fever, cough, blocked nose...and i love it! :)

I know that you'll probably be thinking right now that "i lost it" but please bare with me.

This is the first time in years that i had a normal response in an Influenza infection : I would either not get sick or be sick for 6-7 hours (not days) and then my Body would overcome it.

Stupidly i was thinking that "my Immune system works very well" and i was happy about it. As discussed many times in the Thread, my Theory is that increased ROS and Oxidative Stress is the reason behind this situation (ie not getting sick easily) and not an Overactive Immune system.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...e-treatment-for-cfs.37244/page-67#post-683290

Have also in mind that Sulphites are antagonists to Thiamine

Gondwanaland

I re-tried Benfo 1x at 4mg (four) and got a headache, so I didn't want to go higher or further with it.

Long ago my dr offered me Carcinine, that is a modified molecule of Carnosine. I didn't want to try it before because it is a DAO blocker and I already had too many food intolerances as it was.

But for this time I had been able to reintroduce a lot of foods after starting estrogen replacement, taking digestive + systemic enzymes consistently*, and had been taking histamine degrading probx** for 20 days before starting it, so felt safe to try this supp.

The standard dosage is 100mg, but I started at 10mg. I have been over-exerting since the 1st dose, I just can't remain still. I think this stuff might be the Oomph in taking MB12 of Benfo for the 1st time (I organized the pantry! I think the last time I had done it was when I tried MB12 for the 1st time back in Feb 2014 :redface: ). I am glad I started it at a low dose, otherwise I would be climbing the walls :eek: I am curious to see if it is sustainable.

Now I am on the lookout for signs of side effects :cautious: :eek: The systemic enzymes seem to rescue me from crashing (both pain and energy).

I am getting very sparse tiny itchy dots on my skin which might be histamine related. If you read testimonials on carnosine on iHerb for instance, the negative reviews are about typical histamine reactions.

Stacking the carcinine with maca and green propolis seems to give me additional enthusiasm. :lol:

Pros:
  • increased physical and mental energy
  • accessing childhood memories
  • reduced pain
  • good mood and high spirits
  • EYEBROW REGROWTH (to the point that it is already too late to take a "before" picture!)
No cons so far.

Some people here tried carnosine and it would be nice to know for how long they took it.

* I find that taking enzymes supresses the need for vitamin supplementation :thumbsup: - I hate to juggle the Bs :rolleyes:

** B. longum + B. infantis - I learned from experience that this kind of probx have a specific timing in the day in order to work best: 1 hour before breakfast :rolleyes: If I take them at night it gets very hard to get out bed the following morning, if I take them less than an hour before breakfast I get no benefits for bowel movements.

These probx per se eliminate an annoying symptom I have always had from histamine or glutamate toxicity which is having to put my legs up with the feet up on the desk (legs feel heavy) - OR the enzymes could be the responsible for better blood circulation or food breakdown...

@Violeta @Mary @Asklipia @picante @Lolinda @prioris @dannybex

Last edited:
im having good early success with high dose B1. after day 1 thought i was on to a possible cure/remission.

you dont realise just how bad youve gotten used to feeling until you come out the other side. everything was so easy rather than a huge effort. its unbeleivable.

everyone should try big doses. with due caution of course.

it seems to help people with fatigue in general but also see that it is involved with pyruvate and is one of the main things given to those with mitochondrial disease

wonder if there is more to this
That's amazing! what kind of B1 are you taking? Allithiamine?

No I have not.
For the moment I am quite happy with my little experiment (Alinamin + sulbutiamine + Allithiamine); substituting Alinamin instead of Sulbutiamine for two days after three days of Sulbutiamine. I certainly feel it working on memory, in a strange way : I have insights into events that happened years ago. I do not remember them as I did up to now, when I was playing the leading role and considered what happened around me.
Now I remember scenes of my past as though I was an outsider. I understand what was going on and escaped my attention at the time. Amazing how close I was to danger! Incredible that so many people resented me! How innocent and stupid I was! It is as though I was very near to being able to live the scene from the point of view of the other participants.
All this understanding of the past has all kinds of consequences with a lot of ramifications. It takes a lot of time to think it over and I am quite lazy at the moment, watching the light and the birds.
These clarifications of my past are bringing a new freedom.:balanced::balanced::balanced:
Knowledge is power!!:thumbsup::balloons::thumbsup:
Can I ask you where you get the Alinamin Ex Plus from? (I'm in the UK) Thanks!

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I had managed at this point to run my genetics and discovered that, not uncommonly, I had several genes that do not allow for conversion of any carotene to vitamin A.
I'm so sorry to hear about all this :(
I am curious how you got your genetic testing done

Been doing 300 mg/day of benfotiamine for the last 5 days. No improvement in physical energy at this dose but my cognitive stamina seems improved. I've been able to read and absorb more technical information this week than I have in the previous six or seven years combined.
Wow, i was not considering taking this but this is mighty impressive