1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pyroluria with low copper?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Boost, May 9, 2012.

1. Boost

Boost *****

Brisbane
    Is it possible to have pyroluria with low copper? When I do b6/zinc I do well for a couple of weeks before I crash and seemingly symptoms alleviate with copper rich food.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Try a copper supplement. Copper rich food isn't really testing the theory in isolation. I can't remember if you said the other day you'd tried a supplement or not.
  3. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/hpukpu-protocol-for-lyme-and-autism/

You also have to be careful with copper supplementation due to copper transport problems. If the copper carrier protein (caeruloplasmin) is low, you will just be creating free copper (toxic).

Unfortunately, copper deficiency can also cause low caeruloplasmin. So you don't know when running this test if it is just low for other reasons or low because copper is deficient.
  4. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
  5. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Very interesting. I have low copper and low caeruloplasmin too, but there's no guarantee that you aren't also loaded with free copper. In which case if caeruloplasmin doesn't rise when you supplement copper, you're making yourself copper toxic, whilst staying copper deficient.

It's a hard thing.

I guess if you have a doctor willing to run repeated tests, you could monitor it. Not many of us have doctors willing to do this kind of thing though.

Likewise getting an RBC copper would be interesting. If there's enough in RBCs, serum and caeuloplasmin might not matter so much.

(This is speculation on a bunch of things I've read on this. I thought I was copper deficient about a year and a half ago for the same reasons as Boost, pyroluria treatment)
  6. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    @ hixxy

Do you have low transferrine as well?
  7. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Last time iron studies were done:

Total iron binding capacity: 47 (45-72)
    Transferrin saturation: 36% (22-55)

I'm presuming the TIBC was what you wanted?
  8. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Back in 09 I had a low TIBC with high Transferrin Saturation. It's interesting having a 10 year history of all my pathology.
  9. Boost

Boost *****

Brisbane
    Unfortunately copper supplementation leaves me with a mixed feeling of better and worse at the same time. Almost as if it increases levels of some neuro transmitters while at the same time lowering others. I dont get that with copper rich food...
  10. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
  11. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
  12. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
  13. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    Tip: The links in English are on the left side of the page and at the bottom of the dutch articles.

(It is not my blog.)
  14. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Get yourself a translation plugin for your browser or move to one with it built in (chrome)?
  15. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Hixxy, OK, it's true, my attempts at humor always fail miserably. But come on, that comment of mine to was supposed to be funny, man! :D

By the way, I tried Chrome but didn't really like it. There are a few pluggins I am used to on Firefox (which also sucks in its own special way) that just didn't work properly on Chrome.
  16. Boost

Boost *****

Brisbane
    Why does it always come back to the supplement I'm not taking..... It's gotta be something else...

See more popular forum discussions.