• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pyroluria treatment with methylation

Matt_C

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with pyroluria last week and so have commenced supplementing with zinc and B6. My doctor recommended I get a "primer pyrrole" capsule for treatment, but as I have the supplements individually i'm going to use those. I have a couple of questions I hope someone with experience with treating pyroluria and methylation can help with.

My GP recommended treating the pyroluria first before methylation. He knows I have already started methylation but he recommended reducing the doses of methylation supplements while I treat the pyroluria. Have others done this? Is it necessary or can I just add the zinc and b6 (and manganese) to my stack? I also take vit e, magnesium and calcium as part of my methylation co-factors.

Some of the "primer pyrole" capsules have differing levels of zinc. Most have 50mg but I’ve seen a reference posted by @ahmo from Klinghardt where 300mg of zinc is recommended. I really have no idea how much zinc I need. My serum level was within range and I’ve seen numerous posts where people do not recommend taking any more than 50 or 100mg, but even warned against 100mg being too much. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I’m guessing a conservative approach of 50mg zinc is probably wise. B6 seems to vary too but the consensus seems to be 50mg p5p and 250-300mg of pyridoxine hcl.

Thanks in advance…

ahmo

I started all my pyroluria supps before I started methylation. Initially I used high dose zinc as part of my strategy to displace toxic metals. That went on for about a year, along w/ other detox items. At the end of an incredibly intense final elimination, my body, with self-testing, requested a handful of zinc capsules. I was using footbaths to provide my minerals and aminoes at that time. This huge amopunt coincides with the supposition that toxic metals occupy the zinc receptors. From that moment on, I've only ever self-tested for and used 50mg zinc/day.

Matt_C

Thanks @ahmo. I've seen you reference your self-testing method several times. Do you have a resource where I can learn more about how to do it? I have searched on google and what I've found i'm not sure would be very effective. I once had a GP who decided to do what he called a "quack test" on me to try and identify what bacterial infections I had whereby he had me hold me arms out and he applied pressure to test the strength of my muscles while touching a vial of different bacteria to my skin. It was funny he referred to it as a quack test, and he seemed to be using different degrees of force with different vials. He swore by it as a valid test. Is this along the lines of what you do?

Johnmac

I treated methylation then pyroluria - seemed fine.

For the latter, I took what turned out to be too much zinc - between 50 & 150mg/day - & gave myself a rather nasty copper deficiency.

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with pyroluria last week and so have commenced supplementing with zinc and B6. My doctor recommended I get a "primer pyrrole" capsule for treatment, but as I have the supplements individually i'm going to use those. I have a couple of questions I hope someone with experience with treating pyroluria and methylation can help with.

My GP recommended treating the pyroluria first before methylation. He knows I have already started methylation but he recommended reducing the doses of methylation supplements while I treat the pyroluria. Have others done this? Is it necessary or can I just add the zinc and b6 (and manganese) to my stack? I also take vit e, magnesium and calcium as part of my methylation co-factors.

Some of the "primer pyrole" capsules have differing levels of zinc. Most have 50mg but I’ve seen a reference posted by @ahmo from Klinghardt where 300mg of zinc is recommended. I really have no idea how much zinc I need. My serum level was within range and I’ve seen numerous posts where people do not recommend taking any more than 50 or 100mg, but even warned against 100mg being too much. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I’m guessing a conservative approach of 50mg zinc is probably wise. B6 seems to vary too but the consensus seems to be 50mg p5p and 250-300mg of pyridoxine hcl.

Thanks in advance…