Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pyridostigmine [Mestinon] For Exercise Intolerance Treatment In Preload Failure(conference abstract)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Sidereal, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I'm posting this in the ME/CFS section because the abstract mentions chronic fatigue syndrome and POTS.

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2016.193.1_MeetingAbstracts.A5664

Recently we saw an excellent paper by Systrom's group which didn't explicitly mention CFS, though it did mention that a minority of the patients were diagnosed with POTS: Unexplained exertional dyspnea caused by low ventricular filling pressures: results from clinical invasive cardiopulmonary exercise testing

This conference abstract appears to be a follow-up study examining the use of pyridostigmine (Mestinon) in patients with exercise intolerance and preload failure. 78% response rate is claimed.

Image.png

rosie26, Woolie, panckage and 5 others like this.
  2. Thomas

Thomas Senior Member

Canada
    @Sidereal have you tried this med before?
    I tried this last year at a lower dose of 60mg but didn't remember doing anything good. Perhaps another trial is in order.

I think it was part of my Jay Goldstein trial and error drug exercise. I know he used it at the time BBTB was written but by the time TTB came out he mentioned he stopped using it cuz he thought it was neurotoxic. Having said that I could probably deal with the possible neurotoxicity if it was a "magic bullet" type drug for me.

Interesting post.

Sidereal likes this.
  3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Thomas likes this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

Huperzine A is almost similar and available over the counter.

5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I didn't notice anything useful from it.

6. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Mestinon is the first treatment suggested by the neurologist I consulted for OI.

His instructions were to start with 10 mg once daily and build up in weekly increments of 10 mg (ie week 1, 10 mg 1x daily, week 2, 10 mg 2x daily, week 3, 10 mg 3x daily) to a final dose of 60 mg (20 mg 3x daily).

I never got past the first 10mg. It caused intolerable drowsiness. I persisted thinking this would settle down but it never did so in the end I gave it away.

The neurologist was very surprised by this reaction.

See more popular forum discussions.