• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

pure encapsulations - anyone use this brand?

Hi all,

I saw my alternative MD this past week. She was trained as a neurotoxicologist so I figured she would be a good bet to work with on the methylation protocol and sure enough, she seemed to know a lot about it, although she is not familiar with Rich's specific protocol. She thought I could just take Pure Encapsulations Nutrient 950 without copper, iron and iodine, because "it has the good B12 and Folate." I compared the ingredients to the multi from holistic heal and they are similar, although Pure Encapsulations has higher amounts of everything, but since the per day serving is 6 capsules I could take a partial dose. Could this replace the holistic heal multi in Rich's protocol?

Anyone have any experience with these supplements? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Here is the ingredient list:

Nutrient 950® without copper, iron & iodine

Supplement Facts
six vegetable capsules contain:
vitamin A (as beta carotene) 15,000 i.u.
vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 1,000 mg.
vitamin D (as cholecalciferol)(D3) 800 i.u.
vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol succinate) 400 i.u.
thiamin (as thiamin HCl) (B1) 100 mg.
riboflavin (vitamin B2) 50 mg.
niacin (as niacinamide) 100 mg.
vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 25 mg.
folate (as Metafolin®, L-5-MTHF) 800 mcg.
vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 1,000 mcg.
biotin 800 mcg.
pantothenic acid (as calcium pantothenate) (B5) 400 mg.
calcium (as calcium citrate) 300 mg.
magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 200 mg.
zinc (as zinc picolinate) 25 mg.
selenium (as selenomethionine) 200 mcg.
manganese (as manganese aspartate) 5 mg.
chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) 200 mcg.
molybdenum (as molybdenum aspartate) 100 mcg.
potassium (as potassium aspartate) 99 mg.
boron (as boron glycinate) 2 mg.
vanadium (as vanadium aspartate) 200 mcg.
inositol hexaniacinate 90 mg.
ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C) 120 mg.
riboflavin 5'phosphate (activated B2) 25 mg.
pyridoxal 5' phosphate (activated B6) 25 mg.
mixed carotenoids (as lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin) 850 mcg.

4–6 capsules per day, in divided doses, with meals.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Kathy,

Somewhere I read that the Yasko multi is actually made by Pure Encapsulations--but I don't know if this is true or just a rumor. But it is definitely a good brand. You might address this question to Rich and he could give you a better opinion than most of us.

Best,
Sushi

alice

Hi all,

I saw my alternative MD this past week. She was trained as a neurotoxicologist so I figured she would be a good bet to work with on the methylation protocol and sure enough, she seemed to know a lot about it, although she is not familiar with Rich's specific protocol. She thought I could just take Pure Encapsulations Nutrient 950 without copper, iron and iodine, because "it has the good B12 and Folate." I compared the ingredients to the multi from holistic heal and they are similar, although Pure Encapsulations has higher amounts of everything, but since the per day serving is 6 capsules I could take a partial dose. Could this replace the holistic heal multi in Rich's protocol?

Anyone have any experience with these supplements? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hi Kathy

I took Pure Encapsulation Formula 950 w/o Iron form several years - usually only 2 capsules/day because I supplement with other separate vitamins/minerals etc. I really liked this brand. However it did have folic acid in it, so I switched to Thorne Basic Nutrients when Rich suggested the brand..

However, several weeks ago I noticed that on the Pure Encapsulation website, it stated that Formula 950 has now replaced the folic acid in their formulation with Metafolin like is mentioned in your post above.
http://www.pureencapsulations.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=mvc3

If anyone is ordering right now, I would caution though that some of the online vitamin websites still have the ingredients for Pure Formula 950 listed as folic acid rather than Metafolin, so don't know if they are just selling remaining stock or have not changed the ingredients list for it. I'd call to make sure.

alice

Thanks Alice and Sushi! I will try to contact Rich directly. I checked the bottle I bought from my doc (unopened, if I decide not to use it I can return it) and it contains Metafolin not folic acid. I don't know what you would get if ordering directly from the company.

Sparrow

I use a lot of this brand's products, and have found them to be great. They're also highly recommended by the naturopaths I've worked with. Very high quality standards compared to most brands.

I know that having multiple pills is a down side for some people, but I really like it. Made it much easier to slowly ramp up my dose of Metafolin a little at a time, and to spread out my dose of B vitamins throughout the day.

And yes, the new formulation definitely has methylfolate instead of folic acid. Most of the professional brands seem to have made that change.

Hope it works out great!