• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pubmed:Somatic symptoms in fibro. assoc. with depression and anxiety

Countrygirl

Another attempt to gaslight patients?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29076404

Somatic symptom presentations in women with fibromyalgia are differentially associated with elevated depression and anxiety.

Hadlandsmyth K1, Dailey DL2, Rakel BA3, Zimmerman MB4, Vance CG2, Merriwether EN2, Chimenti RL2, Geasland KM2, Crofford LJ5, Sluka KA2.
Author information

Abstract
This study examined whether depression and anxiety differentially relate to fatigue, sleep disturbance, pain catastrophizing, fear of movement, and pain severity in women with fibromyalgia. Baseline data from the Fibromyalgia Activity Study with Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation were analyzed. Of 191 participants, 50 percent reported high anxiety and/or depression (17% high anxiety, 9% high depression, and 24% both). Fatigue and sleep impairment were associated with high depression ( p < 0.05). Pain severity, pain catastrophizing, and fear of movement were associated with high anxiety and high depression ( p < 0.05). Possible implications for underlying mechanisms and the need for targeted treatments are discussed.

KEYWORDS:
anxiety; depression; fibromyalgia; somatic; symptoms

PMID:

DOI:

10.1177/1359105317736577

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Google+
LinkOut - more resources

duncan

Our NIH $'s hard at work. This makes me all the more concerned about the NIH ME/CFS effort.

I was saddened to see that - as far as I could tell, at least - all of the study's authors appear to be women.

shannah

Declaration of conflicting interests

The author(s) declared the following potential con-
flicts of interest with respect to the research,
authorship, and/or publication of this article:

Kathleen A. Sluka, PT, PhD, FAPTA serves as a consultant for
Bayer, Inc. Dr. Sluka has an active research grant
from Medtronic, Inc and receives royalties from IASP
Press. Dana Dailey, PT, PhD, serves as a consultant
for Bayer, Inc. The remaining authors of this manu-
script have no conflicts of interest to report.

alkt

would bayer inc be making greater profits if everyone with F M were put on anxiety meds .does anyone do research without ulterior motives?